Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

HEEEELP!! Rear hatch.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 05:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default HEEEELP!! Rear hatch.

Hi Folks, I'm stuck here and thought someone could help me.
My rear hatch won't open and I can't figure out what to do. It doesn't feel like the handle is engaging the latch...
Any suggestions?
Old 11-13-2013, 05:51 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.hoe

I removed the plastic covering on mine and found that the bolts had rattled loose on the lock/handle mechanism. Luckily mine was still opening, but it felt sloppy before I tightened them back up.

I'm not sure how you can get the rear hatch open in order to remove the covering though. You may be able to get something in from the interior and pop the latch open.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:58 AM

Get in your hatch, pull the plastic below the window enough to get your hand down to the latch, when you see the latch (you won't miss it, it's the only thing down where your arm will be) pull it and it will open your hatch. Then once it's opened take off the cover and adjust the little clip until it opens. Easier with 2 people, one in the hatch to open it again if you didn't adjust it right. There's a better thread on here somewhere, but once you see it you will understand how it works.

I also made a latch on the inside of mine for camping or if the latch gets out of adjustment again I can open it easier.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:13 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

This is a common problem on cherokees. A lot of times if you push in on the lower right side as you pull the handle it will engage so you can open it. Then you will have to take the door panel off and adjust the actuator rod like everyone said. I just used the push pull method for 2 years untill I couldnt stand it and fixed it.
Old 10-09-2023, 08:24 AM

Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L6 high output
Default hatch mechanism seized

Hey, my latch mechanism is literally rusted or seized and it will l not pull up when I pull on the metal rod, and is there a way to cut the mechanism so I can replace the whole hatch?
Old 10-09-2023, 02:25 PM

Received 207 Likes on 177 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

That's more of a problem than the usual but no need for such desperate measures. You can unbolt the hasp from under/behind the bumper, then once you've got the hatch open, remove the plastic trim panel revealing fairly easy access to the whole mechanism.