Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

heat switch fried...

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 10:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default heat switch fried...

Hey, I haven't been around here in a while, but i'm back looking for some help...

So my heat has always only worked on high and lately the high/low switch has been kinda sticky... Well today it stuck and I kinda forced it and now my heat doesn't work at all.

I took the dash apart and the connection for the switch is all corroded and melted on the switch itself and the plug...

Can I get a new one or is there a way to bypass it... There isn't a lot of cherokees in the junkyards around and i'm kinda doubting i'll be able to find what I need to replace it with junkyard parts...

Even if I can get it to just be like an on off switch, just high and off would be great.... It's super cold around here and I need heat.

Thanks for any help
Attached Thumbnails heat switch fried...-img_2176.jpg   heat switch fried...-img_2178.jpg  
Old 01-25-2013, 10:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jbxjhead
Hey, I haven't been around here in a while, but i'm back looking for some help...

So my heat has always only worked on high and lately the high/low switch has been kinda sticky... Well today it stuck and I kinda forced it and now my heat doesn't work at all.

I took the dash apart and the connection for the switch is all corroded and melted on the switch itself and the plug...

Can I get a new one or is there a way to bypass it... There isn't a lot of cherokees in the junkyards around and i'm kinda doubting i'll be able to find what I need to replace it with junkyard parts...

Even if I can get it to just be like an on off switch, just high and off would be great.... It's super cold around here and I need heat.

Thanks for any help
At the junkyard get the switch and the cut the clip off and splice it in
Old 01-26-2013, 12:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

yup, just had to do this to my 99 tj.

there is a way you can wire in a bank of relays, but it's not easy.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:42 PM

ok... just an update... 4 junkyards later and two pre 97 cherokees later i found two of the switches that were just as burnt out as mine. But I did take both of them and now I got my heat working again... Still only on high, but def better than nothing!
Old 01-26-2013, 06:52 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Jbxjhead
ok... just an update... 4 junkyards later and two pre 97 cherokees later i found two of the switches that were just as burnt out as mine. But I did take both of them and now I got my heat working again... Still only on high, but def better than nothing!
I got a fan switch well actually got the whole AC selector pm about it

Here's a pic of it

heat switch fried...-forumrunner_20130126_185029.jpg
Attached Thumbnails heat switch fried...-forumrunner_20130126_184856.jpg  
Old 01-26-2013, 10:32 PM
xj1

Year: 1996

Common problem. I cut the plug off and crimped spades on. When your blower fan gets old it pulls more amps and melts the wires. Easy fix! I just did mine about a month ago!
Old 01-27-2013, 04:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

if you're only getting high speed, then your blower motor resistor is fried.
they're cheap and easy to replace.

it is located up under the dash on the passenger side, attached to the blower motor housing. there should be a wire harness attached. remove the 2 screws and pull it out.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

i literally only use my blower on high, so cut the connector in the engine bay and hard wired it to a switch in the cab... just an option
Old 02-05-2013, 05:35 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0L

i am having the same problem too.....my plug is fried and i am individually connecting the wires to the switch withe spade connectors also......but if you wanna fix it totally you also need to buy a new blower motor and also blower motor resistor and also replace the fuse for the blower motor....but my question is what order does the wires go into the original plug........from top to bottom while looking at the switch from the backside of the panel-----

top right- yellow/brown stripe
top left- tan wire (very faded almost orange lookin)
middle right- not sure
bottom left- not sure
bottom right- not used

you're top pics of the original plug confirmed the 1,2, and 5 prongs but can't really tell bout where the other 2 wires go due to the angle of the pic....if you can please get back to this post as soon as you can i'd appreciate it

Last edited by AnduthB8806; 02-05-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by AnduthB8806
i am having the same problem too.....my plug is fried and i am individually connecting the wires to the switch withe spade connectors also......but if you wanna fix it totally you also need to buy a new blower motor and also blower motor resistor and also replace the fuse for the blower motor....but my question is what order does the wires go into the original plug........from top to bottom while looking at the switch from the backside of the panel-----

top right- yellow/brown stripe
top left- tan wire (very faded almost orange lookin)
middle right- not sure
bottom left- not sure
bottom right- not used

you're top pics of the original plug confirmed the 1,2, and 5 prongs but can't really tell bout where the other 2 wires go due to the angle of the pic....if you can please get back to this post as soon as you can i'd appreciate it

heat switch fried...-image-374719332.jpg

Here's a pic of one I pulled at the junk yard... Hope that helps.
Thanks for the replies everyone else... Looks like I'll be replacing the blower motor and resistor when I got some extra cash.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:08 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0L

thanks man but i actually just finished it......took forever to figure out the wires though but it's all good now