Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

The heat hit and my 01 is hard to start now

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 04:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Stock
Default The heat hit and my 01 is hard to start now

My cherokee has always been easy to start, but recently it seems like it will crank and crank the first time that you try and start it, but will start on the second try.

If I let the fuel pump cycle before I try to start it, it starts as normal. Seems to me that would indicate some kind of fault in the fuel return system. Anybody have any idea on why it won't hold fuel pressure? Would the heat have something to do with it? it didn't seem to do this until it hit like 80* outside.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:56 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

My cherokee had the same problem, replacing the fuel filters and pump solved it.
Old 05-30-2010, 05:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by ClutchKimball
My cherokee has always been easy to start, but recently it seems like it will crank and crank the first time that you try and start it, but will start on the second try.

If I let the fuel pump cycle before I try to start it, it starts as normal. Seems to me that would indicate some kind of fault in the fuel return system. Anybody have any idea on why it won't hold fuel pressure? Would the heat have something to do with it? it didn't seem to do this until it hit like 80* outside.
Bad Pump or leaky/dirty injector. If this happen when on first start of the day, I doubt the outside temp is anything more than coinsidence. The starting issue is also a sign of pending Crank Position Sensor failure.
Old 05-30-2010, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0 L H.O. I6

Originally Posted by syncview
My cherokee had the same problem, replacing the fuel filters and pump solved it.
this was going to be my suggestion.

unfortunately, with your year youve gotta drop the whole tank to do either one of those.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:27 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L
Default Crank Position Sensor connector

I have had this same problem for years, replacing CPS, coils and ignition control modules. Seems I have mostly experienced this when parked in the sun during the summer. Last summer while trouble shooting I tried and avionics trick, disconnect, re-connect and try again. Praise God it started. It is a pain in the neck but I've probably done this 25 times in the last year. I know it sounds crazy but it works for me. I wonder if the connectors expand with the heat just enough to lose connectivity. At some point I'll take it to the shop and put a new CPS harness in. Hope this helps your troubleshooting and save you a ton of money.

Last edited by AVjeeper; 05-31-2010 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 06-04-2010, 09:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: Stock

Originally Posted by AVjeeper
I have had this same problem for years, replacing CPS, coils and ignition control modules. Seems I have mostly experienced this when parked in the sun during the summer. Last summer while trouble shooting I tried and avionics trick, disconnect, re-connect and try again. Praise God it started. It is a pain in the neck but I've probably done this 25 times in the last year. I know it sounds crazy but it works for me. I wonder if the connectors expand with the heat just enough to lose connectivity. At some point I'll take it to the shop and put a new CPS harness in. Hope this helps your troubleshooting and save you a ton of money.
Hmm. I will definitely keep it in mind. Thanks