Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

A heap of a Jeep

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default A heap of a Jeep

Hey guys I would like to introduce my self and my 1989 cherokee pioneer that I like to call "The Old Prospector." I picked it up two days ago and have plenty of work cut out for myself. It sounds great and motor runs strong, but has a few problems that must be addressed and I am hoping that you all can give me some advice on:

-Coolant overflowing from top of reservoir. After running running for 15 min, a drain hose at the top of the radiator will leak a decent amount of coolant.

-The heat is cool at best.

-One of the temperature gauges does not work. Whichever is in the upper right of the cluster.

Tomorrow I will do some more investigation, get much more information on the problems, and hopefully pick up a repair manual(any recommendations/Links that can provide good information).

-Mark
Old 11-30-2010, 10:05 PM

Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 Renix

Welcome to CF!
I had the SAME issue with my 1989 Laredo, the coolant was overflowing out the top of the bottle, I found this to be because the cap didn't have a good seal, since our XJ's use a pressurized cooling system, coolant would spill out of the cap. Solution, get a new reservoir bottle (about $20) solved the issue.

The gauge at the upper right isn't a temp gauge... at least in my '89, it's the oil pressure gauge.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:07 PM

Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 Renix

P.S. a good repair manual, at least the one I use is the Chilton:
http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/...ek+Google+Base

(I know the pic on the cover is a GRAND, but it's the right one. Those darn Grands always haunt us XJ owners)
Old 12-01-2010, 11:23 AM

I am hoping that someone can help me determine where this hose supposed to attach. It starts just under the radiator cap, and I dont know where it is supposed to end. The overflow bottle I am assuming...? Does can anyone show me a picture of how this set up works? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails A heap of a Jeep-jeepengine.jpg  
Old 12-01-2010, 12:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I'm pretty sure it's supposed to go all the way to the reservoir. Can you find the other half of the hose?
Old 12-01-2010, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by dilljeepo
I'm pretty sure it's supposed to go all the way to the reservoir. Can you find the other half of the hose?
Nope. I just bought a service manual, and none of the diagrams show the hose destination. I have found a few pictures of newer jeeps online where that exact hose is connected to a nipple on the reservoir. The reservoir on mine has two nipples, both of which are already used...
Old 12-01-2010, 12:56 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

In mine that hose hooks to a nipple on the resivoir, you said both are connected what i would do is pull on both hoses lightly to see if it is just hanging down giving the appearance of being connected as that side of the engine bay is fairly conjested with other stuff. That hose looks to short to hook to anything like it was cut by the power fan maybe. Cause mine runs directly over the shroud for that fan and if a connector broke i could see that hose easily falling into said fan.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:08 PM

Engine: 4.0

Not all Cherokees have pressurized cooling systems, I can see that yours is not. You have a radiator cap which would release any pressure built up. That hose your holding is the overflow for the radiator. It shouldn't hook to anything. First place you should look is your thermostat, it may not be opening properly and backing up the system.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:05 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by DPoffroad
Not all Cherokees have pressurized cooling systems, I can see that yours is not. You have a radiator cap which would release any pressure built up. That hose your holding is the overflow for the radiator. It shouldn't hook to anything. First place you should look is your thermostat, it may not be opening properly and backing up the system.
I have a open system as well and that hose on mine still runs back to the overflow bottle.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:38 PM

Well I talked to a jeep dealership, they said there should be two connections to the overflow tank. The nipple on the bottom puts coolant into the engine, and the other nipple on the side of the overflow allows coolant to flow from the engine and radiator. Apparently I am missing a T-piece to connect the two hoses from the radiator and output end of the engine so they both connect to the same nipple on the reservoir. Quoted at $50 for the part... I think I will be making one.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

take the pressure bottle out and install this in its place the broke hose goes here under 25 dollars to fix, just connect the two hoses together from the bottle
Attached Thumbnails A heap of a Jeep-1014101600a_302909.jpg  
Old 12-01-2010, 02:53 PM

Engine: 4.0

Ok I just went out and looked at one, that hose should go back to the bottle. But I just disconnected it and had no issue.... I would look to see one of lines isn't connected though. And make sure the bottle isn't cracked
Old 12-01-2010, 03:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by freegdr
take the pressure bottle out and install this in its place the broke hose goes here under 25 dollars to fix, just connect the two hoses together from the bottle
get rid of the crappy pressure bottle they are junk and not needed with the cooling system you have it been up graded
Old 12-01-2010, 03:19 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 ho

yes it goes to the over flow bottle on the passenger side of the jeep
Old 12-01-2010, 09:35 PM

Can someone post a picture of how the hose from the radiator cap and outward engine coolant hose connect before they attach to the overflow tank? I want to make one of these, but need to make sure I have the right idea.

Quick Reply: A heap of a Jeep