Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Headliner

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headliner

My headliner is all messed up I was wondering if anyone on here knew of something nice I could use for one that's cheap but looks good
Old 09-28-2013, 01:46 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

If your backing is still in one chunk peel off the cloth, brush off the old glue and loose stuff and spray it with bed liner. It's what I did with mine. Looks good now.

Black89
Old 09-28-2013, 04:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994

Originally Posted by WarMad
My headliner is all messed up I was wondering if anyone on here knew of something nice I could use for one that's cheap but looks good
Get some fabric from Walmart and redo your old one. I did mine for around $50 and it's really easy to do
Old 09-28-2013, 04:17 PM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

Carbon Fiber Vinyl. Costs $50 from JC Whitney with free shipping.
Attached Thumbnails Headliner-dsc01765.jpg   Headliner-dsc01768.jpg  
Old 09-28-2013, 09:19 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get headliner fabric from local fabric store (like Jo-Ann fabric). Need three yards. Get two or three cans of 3M heavy duty adhesive spray from local parts store. Then follow this directions.

http://www.4x4xplor.com/headliner.html
Old 09-29-2013, 10:04 PM

Thank you everyone I'm looking into everything and
Originally Posted by Black89
If your backing is still in one chunk peel off the cloth, brush off the old glue and loose stuff and spray it with bed liner. It's what I did with mine. Looks good now. Black89
if I do this whats the best way to do it I already have a couple cans
Old 09-29-2013, 11:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 226 Likes on 176 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

I did mine a few months ago, got 3 yards of fabric from my local Jo-Ann's fabrics, and I bought 3 cans of Pematex (I think?) adhesive from Advanced. Big orange cans. I used all three, but I also re did my overhead consoles. It's pretty simple to do, mine was harder cause of my aftermarket sunroof, but it would've been a piece of cake otherwise. Go for it! One word of advice, make sure you wait FIVE minutes after spraying the glue, because if you jump the gun and just go for it then the glue could bleed through the fabric, or it might not stick well
Old 09-30-2013, 05:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

I took mine in an had it done exact match and only $150
Old 09-30-2013, 10:11 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989

Originally Posted by WarMad
Thank you everyone I'm looking into everything and if I do this whats the best way to do it I already have a couple cans
Get all the upper trim loose, get the dome lights out and slide the headliner out the back. Carefully peel off the old fabric so you don't tear into the backing. Lay the backing down and take a stiff brush or broom and scrub off the remaining glue and loose stuff. Blow it off and spray with the bedliner. If I remember right mine took 3 cans. When you put it back in be as careful as you can to not bend it or fold it. if you do crack the coating you can touch up those spots by spraying the liner on card board and then use a brush to fill and blend in the cracks. I had the wife help me put mine back in and got it without cracking it. It's a black jeep with dark maroon interior so the black bed liner looks pretty dang good in there. Getting my fabric off was easy seeing the trim and the dome lights were the only thing holding it up. LOL By the way this was not my idea, there is another user that did his here as well. Credit goes to him, sorry can't remember his user name.

Black89
Old 09-30-2013, 10:36 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6

Get all the upper trim loose, get the dome lights out and slide the headliner out the back. Carefully peel off the old fabric so you don't tear into the backing. Lay the backing down and take a stiff brush or broom and scrub off the remaining glue and loose stuff. Blow it off and spray with the bedliner. If I remember right mine took 3 cans. When you put it back in be as careful as you can to not bend it or fold it. if you do crack the coating you can touch up those spots by spraying the liner on card board and then use a brush to fill and blend in the cracks. I had the wife help me put mine back in and got it without cracking it. It's a black jeep with dark maroon interior so the black bed liner looks pretty dang good in there. Getting my fabric off was easy seeing the trim and the dome lights were the only thing holding it up. LOL By the way this was not my idea, there is another user that did his here as well. Credit goes to him, sorry can't remember his user name.

Black89
i think this might be one of my next projects. my damn headliner keeps falling on my and lining my head. its so damn literal
Old 09-30-2013, 10:49 AM

Get all the upper trim loose, get the dome lights out and slide the headliner out the back. Carefully peel off the old fabric so you don't tear into the backing. Lay the backing down and take a stiff brush or broom and scrub off the remaining glue and loose stuff. Blow it off and spray with the bedliner. If I remember right mine took 3 cans. When you put it back in be as careful as you can to not bend it or fold it. if you do crack the coating you can touch up those spots by spraying the liner on card board and then use a brush to fill and blend in the cracks.Black89
Im in the process of doing this right now actually. But your description is way different than what I'm seeing on mine.
Mine also has an aftermarket sunroof so maybe whoever installed it did a bad job.

Well i removed the fabric and then i was left with the board itself, a layer of foam on top of that with an extremely thin layer of fabric( basically fibers) and my wire brush took forever to even make a dent in it.