Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Headlights & Burning Smell

Old 11-08-2014, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994 Jeep Cherokee Sport
Default Headlights & Burning Smell

Hey Guys,

My headlights began flickering earlier today, followed by going out simultaneously. The fog and park lights are fine. Also, the heat, a/c, hazards, brake lights, wipers, signals, inside and dome lights are fine. The radio is questionable. I could easily buy new bulbs but with the burning smell, I am concerned that is not the issue. I don't think it's the ignition switch, so let's cancel that out. I hope it's just a fuse, I will test in the morning. Please extend suggestions. Thank you.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:14 PM
Banned

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

If its a burning smell, your light wires may have shorted out
Old 11-08-2014, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by 93_xjcherokee
If its a burning smell, your light wires may have shorted out
Which ones, and how do I fix them?
Old 11-08-2014, 08:53 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by WomanNeedsJeepExpertise
Hey Guys,

My headlights began flickering earlier today, followed by going out simultaneously. The fog and park lights are fine. Also, the heat, a/c, hazards, brake lights, wipers, signals, inside and dome lights are fine. The radio is questionable. I could easily buy new bulbs but with the burning smell, I am concerned that is not the issue. I don't think it's the ignition switch, so let's cancel that out. I hope it's just a fuse, I will test in the morning. Please extend suggestions. Thank you.
Take it to a shop. Electrical can be hard even for those who know what they're doing. And, it can even be dangerous...you can burn your jeep to the ground if you don't know what you're doing. You don't think it is something, so forget it? This is NOT the proper way to diagnose ANYTHING...even electrical
Old 11-08-2014, 09:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996

I'd normally begin at the headlight switch, but I would expect symptoms in several of the other circuits you mentioned as well. Still, I'd inspect the switch and associated wiring, especially the wires running to the lights.

Many have modified their trucks by placing the headlights on a relay harness which removes the heavy load off of the switch and long, lighter gauge wires for this reason. I'm planning to do the same whenever I can get time to build the harness.

And yes, if you have any doubts, have it looked at by a professional.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:17 PM

Year: 2001

If you have upgraded your headlights from the OEM sealed beams to something like H4s and not upgraded your wiring harness to something like the Putco you could be overloading the capacity of your wiring and the wires are heating up burning the insulation which will eventually burn down your Jeep.
The headlight wiring is pretty lame but like many Chrysler products is the minimum required.
Just a suggestion but if you have upgraded it could very be the issue.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:28 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Many, MANY assumptions in this thread so far
Old 11-08-2014, 09:43 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

I think your headlight switch is or has shorted out. This happened on my '87 about this time last year, while my daughter had it 250 miles away from me.

I had the local Jeep dealer install a switch sourced from O'Reilly's. They also had to rewire the harness that plugs into the switch a little later, because the burning smell continued on and off for a while, until it got really bad.

I made my daughter take it back in when she told me this. She almost had a catastrophic dash fire that would have burned the Jeep to the ground. She is not mechanically oriented at all.

About 6 months later, she had moved back in with me. My wife and daughter were in this Jeep after dark, and the headlights started switching off and on by themselves. When they told me this, I immediately knew it was the replacement switch.

This is the second aftermarket switch that I have had do this, on two different vehicles. I ordered a new OEM switch from Jeep. It took about a week to get here. After I installed it, no more flickering headlights.

In review:

1. Don't drive your Jeep when you will need headlights. It would be better not to drive it at all right now.

2. Order a new OEM switch from Jeep. The Chinese switches are built too cheap and lightweight.

3. For you, WNJE, pay your local Jeep dealer to install it. NOT Firestone. Have them check all associated wiring for burnt insulation and bare wires.

Last edited by Firestorm500; 11-08-2014 at 09:45 PM.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1989

Legit replies have been posted. Let's not turn this into a 100 page thread.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Firestorm500
I think your headlight switch is or has shorted out. This happened on my '87 about this time last year, while my daughter had it 250 miles away from me. I had the local Jeep dealer install a switch sourced from O'Reilly's. They also had to rewire the harness that plugs into the switch a little later, because the burning smell continued on and off for a while, until it got really bad. I made my daughter take it back in when she told me this. She almost had a catastrophic dash fire that would have burned the Jeep to the ground. She is not mechanically oriented at all. About 6 months later, she had moved back in with me. My wife and daughter were in this Jeep after dark, and the headlights started switching off and on by themselves. When they told me this, I immediately knew it was the replacement switch. This is the second aftermarket switch that I have had do this, on two different vehicles. I ordered a new OEM switch from Jeep. It took about a week to get here. After I installed it, no more flickering headlights. In review: 1. Don't drive your Jeep when you will need headlights. It would be better not to drive it at all right now. 2. Order a new OEM switch from Jeep. The Chinese switches are built too cheap and lightweight. 3. For you, WNJE, pay your local Jeep dealer to install it. NOT Firestone. Have them check all associated wiring for burnt insulation and bare wires.
How much does this cost switch cost, and how much does JEEP charge to replace with labor. I need to do this myself, this is my daily driver. I replaced the ignition switch in 2012, so I can do this, in fact that was the first thing I ever did on my Jeep.

Last edited by WomanNeedsJeepExpertise; 11-09-2014 at 09:02 AM.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Renix

As earlier mentioned, the smell is likely the headlite/dimmer switch. The tough part is getting your hand in there to remove it. Google the removal as there is a retainer on the operating **** that needs to be released, once you know where to push the release is comes off easy, just difficult to get your hand up in under the dash. After a significant melt down (3hrs from home, at night, in a snow storm, truth) I picked up a replacement at Jeep for $75 a few years ago. The original had a total fail with the dimmer reostat mechanism and in falling apart caused shorting. Today I don't use the original dimmer set up. I run fresh wiring and feeds through two 30 amp relays, one circuit for headlights, the other for running lights, the relays are triggered by two HD toggles that reside mounted were original light switch was. ( I never really trusted the dimmer mechanism again after the close call experience). I also never really required the dimming of the dash board. For your quick fix today you can pull the old dimmer switch out. Inspect all the wires that attach to it. If all are in good order (just the switch defective) you can run a jumper for your running lights and headlights, allows your operation till the dealership or your favourite parts stores open monday. If the wires are in melt down, you need to rewire, that task will take a little longer.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:35 AM

Ok, I'm wondering if it could be the high beam lever, my high beams won't stay on. I can hold them on but once it let go of the lever, they cut off.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by peep
As earlier mentioned, the smell is likely the headlite/dimmer switch. The tough part is getting your hand in there to remove it. Google the removal as there is a retainer on the operating **** that needs to be released, once you know where to push the release is comes off easy, just difficult to get your hand up in under the dash. After a significant melt down (3hrs from home, at night, in a snow storm, truth) I picked up a replacement at Jeep for $75 a few years ago. The original had a total fail with the dimmer reostat mechanism and in falling apart caused shorting. Today I don't use the original dimmer set up. I run fresh wiring and feeds through two 30 amp relays, one circuit for headlights, the other for running lights, the relays are triggered by two HD toggles that reside mounted were original light switch was. ( I never really trusted the dimmer mechanism again after the close call experience). I also never really required the dimming of the dash board. For your quick fix today you can pull the old dimmer switch out. Inspect all the wires that attach to it. If all are in good order (just the switch defective) you can run a jumper for your running lights and headlights, allows your operation till the dealership or your favourite parts stores open monday. If the wires are in melt down, you need to rewire, that task will take a little longer.
Can you give me a little more detail on this to buy me some time? I plan to do this myself. Pull out the dimmer switch, and check wiring. How do I run a jumper?

High beams won't stay on, lever is malfunctioning
Old 11-09-2014, 11:38 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

Originally Posted by WomanNeedsJeepExpertise
Can you give me a little more detail on this to buy me some time? I plan to do this myself. Pull out the dimmer switch, and check wiring. How do I run a jumper?

High beams won't stay on, lever is malfunctioning
Old 11-09-2014, 11:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1989

:Facepalm:

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headlights & Burning Smell