Notices
Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight woes

Old 04-16-2019, 02:54 PM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Headlight woes

Hey guys so ive been having problems with my passenger side headlight. It wont turn on. I have replaced the bulb and tested it by wiring to battery. Headlight works. Ive tested the 30 amp fuse in the pdc its working as my driver side light works. Ive also replaced both #3 + #16 10 amp mini fuses in the interior. Fuse box. Now need guidance on what to do next
Old 04-16-2019, 03:20 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0l

Have you got a multimeter to hand? If so check the voltages getting to the headlight bulb connector to see if voltage is getting there. Even if it is, corrosion can cause enough resistance to stop the bulb from lighting. Using the same multimeter you should also be able to check your resistance to ground which should be minimal. On my 95 RHD, there is a connector behind the passenger headlight, underneath the air filter. This connector is the front lighting harness connector and may be corroded. Contact cleaning spray is the best way to clean them out.
Old 04-16-2019, 04:31 PM

Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Sometimes the wires in the connection to the headlight plug back out. There are YouTube videos on it.
Old 04-16-2019, 05:04 PM

If my driver side headlight is working would it still be the harness?
Old 04-16-2019, 05:28 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0l

For a 95 LHD (the diagrams I have) the feed comes in to the drivers headlight then goes across to the passenger headlight. From that it should not be to do with the lighting harness connector due to the drivers light working.

Do check Out BillyBoy's suggestion as it could be that simple, when plugging in the bulb make sure that none of the terminals push out from the connector and all stay in place.

Failing that I would use the trusty multimeter and check resistance with headlights turned off from one headlight connector to the other. You should have little to no resistance between the 2 connectors on each of the 3 pins. High resistance or Infinity would indicate your issue.

Alternatively and also recommended regardless, it would be worth investing in a relay harness kit such as this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330997592807

A harness kit takes the load away from your headlight switch and flasher switch which greatly increases the lifespan of the switches and usually has some increase to light output via a higher voltage at the bulbs (results vary depending on the original circuit condition).
Old 04-17-2019, 09:23 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

When I did the headlight harness upgrade, my high beams were intermittent because the new harness uses the passenger's headlight plug to supply the signal source for the relays and it was corroded. I used an old breaker point file to clean up the plug contacts and so far it's still working. I could have spliced in a new plug, but I haven't yet. This harness including Sylvania Silverstar sealed beam bulbs turned my warm lantern-glow headlights into getting flashed when on low beams!
Old Yesterday, 10:43 AM

Engine: 4.0

Mine were bad plugs they looked fine , I upgraded my lights with LED's and they came with new plugs so I put them on no more problems.
Old Yesterday, 09:47 PM
CF Veteran

Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

So, You're that guy coming the other way! I hate LED headlights!