Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

headlight switch

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 05:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default headlight switch

Anyone have idea what cause headlight switch broken repeatly. Marker lights still work and i pressed high beam light on.turn swirch. It work but it wont stay on. Low beam head light isnt work. I replaced headlight switch about 3 to 5 time every year. Any idea what cause switch broken repeat?

Jeep info- 1996 jeep cherokee sport
Old 10-31-2012, 06:21 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Can you describe the symptoms a little better? I couldn't follow you very well.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:42 AM

When I replaced new headlight switch. It work perfect. In couple weeks. It will blinking when head lamps are on more than 1 hour. I have to turn switch off for approx 30 sec. And turn it on. It will work.good. it happened repeat other couple weeks. Then i can not turn.head lamp on anymore. I have to replace new switch. It repeat process. I replaced relay, turn signal system on steering colum and new fuses. It still cause same problems.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:05 AM

I took head lamp switch out and compare new one. Yep the " wheel " for touching electric to various lights are bent. I believe it caused by witch dome light often. Any idea where I can find wiring diagram on switch box to find which wire go to dome light. I want by pass to isolate switch. Thanks..
Old 10-31-2012, 11:38 AM

Year: 2001

Have you done anything to upgrade your lights?
If not then it could just be corrosion in the harness adding to the load on the switch and burning out the switch.
One solution would be clean and check all the connectors and grounds, good idea anyways. The ideal solution would be to install a headlight relay harness after your switch replacement.
This will do two things, first reduce the load on the headlight switch which in stock form is carrying the load for all the wiring and lights through it, secondly improve the voltage going to your headlights since the wiring will be much shorter and of a greater capcity than the stock stuff.
Adding the relay harness will also improve the amount of light that you get from the OEM type sealed beams and allow you to upgrade to H4 replacements if you decide to improve it even more.
LMC Truck has a harness for the H4 as well as the more common Putco harness that is available. I used the Putco and the Eurolight conversion and it is great.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:46 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998

I agree with Sails. Sounds like something (corroded terminals, bad grounds, etc) is overloading the switch.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I-6

I've had this problem with both my XJ's. The problem is the harness connector, the one that goes onto the switch under the dash. Just reach up under there and wiggle the connector on the switch and see if that helps. If so, then you know that it is the connector. You'll need to upgrade your wiring harness and run your headlights off of relays or you'll eventually fry your wiring.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:34 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,525 Likes on 1,237 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

The real solution is to add the headlight upgrade harness and take the load off the switch.
http://www.eautoworks.com/Putco-H4--...s-PRD7540.aspx
Cruiser’s Headlight Upgrade Harness Instructions

Absolutely plug and play. Remove grille and headlamp bulbs. I fed my harnesses from the passenger side starting between the battery and the back of the headlamp housing, over to the driver side. Plug the driver side bulb into the new harness. Attach the new harness's ground wire under one of the small bolts on the radiator support after scraping the paint off under it. Attach the harness to the existing harness behind the grille working toward the passenger side. . Plug the new harness plug into passenger headlamp. Plug original headlamp plug into receptacle on new harness. Attach the ground for the passenger side just like you did the driver side under a radiator support bolt. Attach relays with provided bracket on the passenger side inner fender. Connect power wires to battery.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:56 PM

Ok many thanks I will look thru and see what i will do. I.unplug one oem lamp. It have no problem now. I.need install relay harness before i get pull over..

One question, I need fix the problem asap. Should I find which wire from switch to lamps. And remove it then run relay from switch to relay to lamp and new wire from.battery to relay? ( I have personal fuses which it go straight to.battery with 6 fuses under dashboard)