Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Headers prone to cracking?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 01:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Headers prone to cracking?

Is the header cracking issue the same across all XJ's? I have a 2001 and there seems to be no "collector" like there is on the older models. It splits off into two cats instead of 6 into 1. Im about to replace my head and I am just wondering if I should replace my header while Im in there. If I should replace it, what do you recommend? I was looking at thorley, but thats 500$. Thanks Guys.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

All models have the potential to crack. It is a 17+ year old vehicle after all! Mine cracked at the ends (cyl 1 and 6) but not at the collector.

I'd do whatever testing you can do to check before tearing into the engine and if it's good, once you have it off, take it off and inspect it. If it's good then I'd put it back on. If not, then it's up to you, but I think all the 01 manifolds are going to be pricey with the extra built in cats. I used a Dorman and so far it's been fine. I may upgrade in the future if the rest of the vehicle holds up.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Deep mud and water crossing is almost guaranteed to cause a crack.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by PatHenry
All models have the potential to crack. It is a 17+ year old vehicle after all! Mine cracked at the ends (cyl 1 and 6) but not at the collector.

I'd do whatever testing you can do to check before tearing into the engine and if it's good, once you have it off, take it off and inspect it. If it's good then I'd put it back on. If not, then it's up to you, but I think all the 01 manifolds are going to be pricey with the extra built in cats. I used a Dorman and so far it's been fine. I may upgrade in the future if the rest of the vehicle holds up.
Thanks you for the information. I looked at the Dorman stuff and it seems to be a two piece deal for my Jeep. This is my DD and no offroading is done with it.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Originally Posted by netvvork
Thanks you for the information. I looked at the Dorman stuff and it seems to be a two piece deal for my Jeep. This is my DD and no offroading is done with it.
For a DD, I'd look at getting a good quality OEM style replacement.

I chose the Dorman because it was the highest rated of the OEM style replacements for my 95 on Amazon that was reasonably priced. For 2001, Dorman may or may not be the best bet. I'd be wary of a two piece deal if you can find a single piece. However it may be that time has proven that there needs to be more flex and the way to achieve that is having 2 pieces.