Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Having an issue with a misfire on #3

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Having an issue with a misfire on #3

Hey guys I am new to this board and just bought my first jeep, I picked this 1998 Jeep Cherokee 4WD for $700, has 163k on it. It had a blown head gasket and I have already placed it, it had a rough idle when I bought it. I have replaced the spark plugs and installed my MSD 6A w/ Blaster II coil. I have had a concern with the spark plug wires with the MSD thinking that they were arcing through but that isn't the case pulled the plug and it is arcing 3" out, great for the MSD but not for me. I unplugged the fuel injector and made no change seems as if the injected isn't working, I plan on using a Noid light to find out if there is a pulse. Also was planning out switching the injector to a different cylinder as well as pulling the plug to see what it is doing. I have read up that the PCM goes bad as well as CPS, before I start throwing parts at it I was wondering if yall have any ideas. Oh and a side note it accelerates fine and goes down the road just fine as well as just has really crappy MPG.

Last edited by textherex; 09-16-2010 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:22 PM

As I sit at working thinking about fixing my truck, I remember when I changed the head gasket that I might have left out a bolt to the intake/exhaust. Funny enough I think that it is right at the #3 cylinder but I am not 100% but I am not hearing a vacuum leak, I am going to take home my brake clean and see if I have a leak. Anyways, is there anything else one can think of? Btw I from got to add that the CEL is on and there are two codes one for the #3 cylinder misfire and the other for ignition coil which I have my MSD installed so I would assume that having the blaster II coil hooked up would cause that.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:32 PM

As I sit at working thinking about fixing my truck, I remember when I changed the head gasket that I might have left out a bolt to the intake/exhaust. Funny enough I think that it is right at the #3 cylinder but I am not 100% but I am not hearing a vacuum leak, I am going to take home my brake clean and see if I have a leak. Anyways, is there anything else one can think of? Btw I from got to add that the CEL is on and there are two codes one for the #3 cylinder misfire and the other for ignition coil which I have my MSD installed so I would assume that having the blaster II coil hooked up would cause that.