Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

has anyone removed the rear cargo windows?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 09:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default has anyone removed the rear cargo windows?

I need to know how to remove and re-install rear cargo windows. i have some rust forming under one of them and i'd like to get that cleaned up. could anyone help me out ?

thanks inadvance
Old 03-15-2013, 10:27 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Removing it must be done carefully to avoid breaking the glass. Remove the interior panels around the window. Pry the rubber seal up and out with a screwdriver, once it gets started it goes easy. To reinstall get some string, wrap it inside the ridge of the seal and get both ends meeting at a corner with enough extra to grab. Slip the exposed corner in place, then grab the string ends and pull them, it should reseat the gasket.

This is so much easier with a helper lol.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:46 PM
Banned

Old 03-15-2013, 11:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by Dan91
Removing it must be done carefully to avoid breaking the glass. Remove the interior panels around the window. Pry the rubber seal up and out with a screwdriver, once it gets started it goes easy. To reinstall get some string, wrap it inside the ridge of the seal and get both ends meeting at a corner with enough extra to grab. Slip the exposed corner in place, then grab the string ends and pull them, it should reseat the gasket.

This is so much easier with a helper lol.

Alternatively if your seals are in bad shape and you plan on replacing them anyway it is much easier to just cut them with a utility knife and there is less risk of breaking the glass this way upon removal (but the same re-install process applies just with new seals).
Old 03-16-2013, 11:22 AM
Seasoned Member

i like the brick idea cuz i know ill be frustrated at some point...lol thanks everyone for the help
Old 03-16-2013, 06:42 PM

Dude it's easy just use butter knives to pry it out at least 5, just be careful and if u feel it bind don't jerk or pry it just kinda wiggle it slowly to and it will ease out, to put them back in get some string and run all the way around the rubber seal, get as much if the rubber seal in its grove with the body and do ur best to get it some what in, then have some one put slight pressure on the outside pushing in, go inside and get ur string and pull on it. U want to use something strong like really smal rope, pull the string and it will pull the seal into place, ull have to pry at the seal lip to get it in place good but a hook shaped pick works really good for this, be careful it will rip. but just be weary of how deep the pick is into the rubber and ill be fine, I put dawn dish soap around it as well to help lube it up. Good luck. It's a pain in the ***.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:51 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

i think on my trail rig im gonna pull my rear glass and swap it for plexi glass, no more tree branches in my back windows