Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Harmonic balancer removal -88 XJ

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 01:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Harmonic balancer removal -88 XJ

Hey,

I know this has been covered to some degree before but I have a few questions about tackling this job. I've currently removed the front bumper to gain access to the balancer, for removal.

Trying to get the balancer bolt off, the engine keeps turning over - will this in any way affect timing? I guess no but never hurts to ask.

What's the easiest way to stop the engine turning over? I won't drop the oil pan or grab the flexplate with a vice and rather not use a metal piston stop tool, since i've heard only bad things about them and the bolt will probably be quite stuck.

Also, the balancer itself - the new one has 6 holes, 3 a bit bigger and 3 smaller ones but the one on the engine doesnt and I really can't make out if the holes are threaded - is it possible to have a balancer without threaded holes??

Thats it for now, thanks!
Old 01-05-2014, 01:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Turning won't affect timing.
If you don't have an impact available, try wedging a bar or a "BIG" screwdriver through the balancer and against the block. You can also use a jerking(jarring) motion against the socket wrench to help break it free.
Have no clue about the balancer w/o some pics, but it should have threaded holes for the remover.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by highmileage
Turning won't affect timing.
If you don't have an impact available, try wedging a bar or a "BIG" screwdriver through the balancer and against the block. You can also use a jerking(jarring) motion against the socket wrench to help break it free.
Have no clue about the balancer w/o some pics, but it should have threaded holes for the remover.
Alright, ill try the handle of a screwdriver and see if that works.

I'll get some pics of the balancer and the new one for comparison
Old 01-05-2014, 03:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Theress deff holes there...If I remember correctly I used a two arm puller on mine to get it off as mine had came completely in too.

Last edited by freegdr; 01-05-2014 at 03:09 AM.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I-6

You shouldn't of had to remove the bumper to get to it. Most puller sets are universal and come with an assortment of bolts. On mine, it uses the three medium sized bolts and they fit into the three smaller holes closest to the center. I don't think the three larger holes are net threaded but, I could be wrong.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999

If u left the serpentine belt on, u would be able to break it loose.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Engine: AMC242

Originally Posted by andrem
Hey,

I know this has been covered to some degree before but I have a few questions about tackling this job. I've currently removed the front bumper to gain access to the balancer, for removal.

Trying to get the balancer bolt off, the engine keeps turning over - will this in any way affect timing? I guess no but never hurts to ask.

What's the easiest way to stop the engine turning over? I won't drop the oil pan or grab the flexplate with a vice and rather not use a metal piston stop tool, since i've heard only bad things about them and the bolt will probably be quite stuck.

Also, the balancer itself - the new one has 6 holes, 3 a bit bigger and 3 smaller ones but the one on the engine doesnt and I really can't make out if the holes are threaded - is it possible to have a balancer without threaded holes??

Thats it for now, thanks!
As long as the timing chain & distributor aren't disturbed, timing is a non-issue.

Make sure you use a "crowfoot" type puller, if you aren't already!

As far as holding the engine? I like to take the belt off and use a chain wrench or a strap wrench around the pully, in opposition to the turning. Keeps everything where I can reach it, y'know?
Old 01-05-2014, 07:14 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 5-90
As long as the timing chain & distributor aren't disturbed, timing is a non-issue. Make sure you use a "crowfoot" type puller, if you aren't already! As far as holding the engine? I like to take the belt off and use a chain wrench or a strap wrench around the pully, in opposition to the turning. Keeps everything where I can reach it, y'know?
^^^ this is good advice.

I was stranded on a parking lot. Didn't had a crowbar so I left the belt on while I broke the bolt loose.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I did my crank seal I left the belt on for removal of the bolt but I did have to shove a huge screwdriver in there to stop the pully from turning.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:27 PM
CF Veteran

Oh wait a min. That's right I remember now. I put two bolts in the threaded holes and put a screwdriver in there and broke the crank bolt loose. Because the belt broke when the pulley hit the mechanical fan.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by scottmphoto
You shouldn't of had to remove the bumper to get to it. Most puller sets are universal and come with an assortment of bolts. On mine, it uses the three medium sized bolts and they fit into the three smaller holes closest to the center. I don't think the three larger holes are net threaded but, I could be wrong.
I removed it since i'm replacing it anyway, so it would've been removed sooner or later and I chose sooner since it was easier to gain access

Originally Posted by XJwonders
If u left the serpentine belt on, u would be able to break it loose.
Probably, but the belt is off and gone - don't feel like fitting a fresh belt on just for that

Originally Posted by 5-90
As long as the timing chain & distributor aren't disturbed, timing is a non-issue.

Make sure you use a "crowfoot" type puller, if you aren't already!

As far as holding the engine? I like to take the belt off and use a chain wrench or a strap wrench around the pully, in opposition to the turning. Keeps everything where I can reach it, y'know?
Hm, I don't really get what you're implying. The balancer is quite big but my chain wrench might fit but how will that hold against the balancer moving? I've tried to jam something in the balancers spacing but it has so much force i'm scared of braking something.

Fyi; i'm not sure the balancer has ever been changed.

Originally Posted by 884x4
When I did my crank seal I left the belt on for removal of the bolt but I did have to shove a huge screwdriver in there to stop the pully from turning.
You just shoved it in the spacing in the balancer? Against the engineblock?
Old 01-06-2014, 07:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L

I've done this twice with a regular strap wrench (two in a packet from Lowes). Obviously have to brace it against something. Never tried a chain wrench.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Pelican
I've done this twice with a regular strap wrench (two in a packet from Lowes). Obviously have to brace it against something. Never tried a chain wrench.
Has to be quite a big strap wrench then. But so I'm understanding in correctly, you strap it around the balancer, brace it against something and just try to break the bolt loose with the wrench handle keeping it from turning?
Old 01-06-2014, 08:13 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by andrem
Has to be quite a big strap wrench then. But so I'm understanding in correctly, you strap it around the balancer, brace it against something and just try to break the bolt loose with the wrench handle keeping it from turning?
Why do t u just put on two bolts in threaded holes on pulley itself and put a large screwdriver between bolts and loosen up the center bolt with a ratchet
Old 01-06-2014, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by XJwonders
Why do t u just put on two bolts in threaded holes on pulley itself and put a large screwdriver between bolts and loosen up the center bolt with a ratchet
And what will that screwdriver hook on too? Since there's a lot of hoses etc around and I need something that can withstand pressure without breaking - the screws are not that thick mind you.

Quick Reply: Harmonic balancer removal -88 XJ