Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Hard starting after mudding

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 07:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Straight Six
Default Hard starting after mudding

I took my Jeep mudding about 2 weeks ago. I also got it stuck in the mud and had to get towed out. Since then I have been having some pretty bad hard starts where it would just crank and wouldn't turn over. I unplugged the battery and cleaned out the engine compartment really well because there was mud everywhere. Is there a sensor that is tripping up that is making my engine start like this or do I have to live with this forever now
Old 06-05-2013, 07:38 AM

check around your starter (make sure there is good contact on all cables) maybe even take it out to inspect, check in you air filter housing (lack of air flow will cause hard starts), check aroung all your pullies. really just give everything a very thorough look over.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:42 AM

I've checked everything except the starter. I took a hose to the inside of the engine compartment so I sprayed away anything that shouldn't have been there. I did spray off the starter solenoid though. I figured that would be a good place to start.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:48 AM

And the motor cranks just fine. It just takes longer then it should to turn over and sometimes when it does finally turn over, it revs real low for the first 2 seconds and I always think it's gonna die.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:50 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

crank = turn over
Old 06-05-2013, 07:57 AM

Alright my bad. I always called it that. I'll be more specific. When I go to start it, the starter works. The engine does turn. It just takes a few seconds longer for it to actually fire up
Old 06-05-2013, 08:20 AM
CF Veteran

Usually, I'd suspect fuel pressure, but if it happened after mudding, it sounds like moisture in a connection or sensor. (Wouldn't hurt to check fuel pressure anyway, just to rule it out.) I haven't had this happen personally, but I've heard that the TPS is sensitive to moisture, so might be something to look at.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:23 AM

Alright I'll take a look at all the connectors on the throttle body when I get home. I don't have a fuel line pressure tester available and I won't until about September. Any other sensors or connections I should check while I'm under the good again?
Old 06-05-2013, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by doral330
Alright I'll take a look at all the connectors on the throttle body when I get home. I don't have a fuel line pressure tester available and I won't until about September. Any other sensors or connections I should check while I'm under the good again?
if you have an auto part store near you, most have tools for rent. might not hurt to see if they have a fuel pres tester.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:19 AM
CF Veteran

BTW, how does it run once it does start?
Old 06-05-2013, 09:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

The throttle position sensor is definitely a suspect for water intrusion. If it is just a bit of moisture, sometimes you're lucky and it works itself out. Other times, the sensor has to be replaced.

Gotta be very careful when cleaning the engine compartment with water. Cover sensitive electronics and go easy on the pressure.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by belvedere
BTW, how does it run once it does start?
It runs fine. Maybe a little shaky here and there but it has always done that
Old 06-05-2013, 01:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 ho

Just a thought.... how much water was around when you were wheelin? Ive had that issue when a little water got in my airfilter.

Just a thought. And I skimmed through the prior messages. You said it cranks over fine? Jump down there with a wrench and tighten the starter and battery just for reassurance a 1/4 turn could be the difference. Go to napa. Oreillys or any auto parts stores ask to borrow a fuel pressure gage they'll normally have you put down a deposit but you'll get it back once you bring It back.

Pull your dist cap off and check that. Unsure why but ive had a jeep after wheeling a very slight pin hole in the roter started. Maybe from water who knows. But I had the same issue from that lool at the cap and roter good with a light ive over looked holes till they got worse
Old 06-05-2013, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by vandelden21
Just a thought.... how much water was around when you were wheelin? Ive had that issue when a little water got in my airfilter.

Just a thought. And I skimmed through the prior messages. You said it cranks over fine? Jump down there with a wrench and tighten the starter and battery just for reassurance a 1/4 turn could be the difference. Go to napa. Oreillys or any auto parts stores ask to borrow a fuel pressure gage they'll normally have you put down a deposit but you'll get it back once you bring It back.

Pull your dist cap off and check that. Unsure why but ive had a jeep after wheeling a very slight pin hole in the roter started. Maybe from water who knows. But I had the same issue from that lool at the cap and roter good with a light ive over looked holes till they got worse
Umm lets see. I got stuck so it was pretty much in a lot of water. I replaced my air filter because yes it got ruined. I do not have a distributer. Coil pack on mine. I pulled the battery out when I sprayed down the inside of the compartment. I made sure all the connections were tightened up too
Old 06-20-2013, 08:09 AM

Bump. My Jeep is still doing this. I replaced all the spark plugs with the proper plugs and I did a fuel pressure test and it was fine. I'm starting to think it might be the CPS. What is a good CPS to buy? How much should I spend? Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: Hard starting after mudding