Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Growling at speed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default 98 XJ Binding noise at speed/right turn?

So I just picked up my 1998 Cherokee in February (4.0 I6), and since then just recently had new tires fitted to it (bfgoodrich ta/ko2's at 235/75/15) , all 4 wheel bearings replaced, upper ball joints replaced, and U-joints. Even had to get a new catalytic converter a little while back. Note the noise has been there before and after it had all this work done.

It is making a growling sound that goes with the wheel speed/rotation and is present when driving straight but quiet, and when turning right is prominent and causes the vehicle to vibrate as well. The sound still exists while applying the brakes, at any speed, and is starting to annoy me.

The vehicle was mainly used as an offroad company vehicle to go to sites and has almost 112,000km's on it (70,000 miles). It's a 5 speed standard transmission with locking diffs front and rear from the factory (also came with a factory winch which is awesome).

I don't have time to take it to a shop for a little bit so I figured I'd post a question on here and see if anyone has any ideas on it. Would like to get it fixed, as I love the vehicle but if it ends up costing to much to get fixed it might already be time for it to go and get something else.

I'm not driving it off road right now and it is being used to commute to and from work. Vehicle as far as I can tell is completely stock aside from some simple things (shift ****, stereo that kind of stuff).

Last edited by VictoriaXJ; 06-29-2018 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Change title
Old 06-29-2018, 10:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

First thought was hub bearings. Second is a differential. Any leaks around the pinion? If leaking, your probably low on fluid. Open both axles if 4wd, and look for anything suspicious. Check the u-joints and any slip joints on the driveshaft while youre under there.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by fb97xj1
First thought was hub bearings. Second is a differential. Any leaks around the pinion? If leaking, your probably low on fluid. Open both axles if 4wd, and look for anything suspicious. Check the u-joints and any slip joints on the driveshaft while youre under there.
Me too, then I read that he has dealt with that possibility. But I think you are headed in the right direction here. It very well could be an inside carrier bearing bad which would give the same symptoms. It might be a good time for a diff cover removal and inspection.