Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

ground question

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 12:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default ground question

88 auto

my rig has been running kinda crappy for a loooong time, the most annoying thing it does is when im in (d) it will run fine untill 50 then if i let off the gas at all and it downshifts its like im driving over speed bumps that are a foot apart. The only thing i can do to stop this is putting it in (3) where it wont do the speed bump thing but it will occasionally miss/stumble/backfire from the intake.
i was looking around and found that my ground wire is uncoverd from the block for about a foot, its just bare wire and it is COVERD in oil/mud bla bla could this be the problem?? i have tryed everything it seems but somehow i have overlooked this. i will be replacing it when i get off work but im curiose to see if it could actually fix my problem.
sorry for the long post
Old 12-13-2009, 01:03 PM

the ground wire will not effect it in this way. sounds like you have something loose or worn out in the suspension or drive train causing the "vibration". could be wheel bearings to u-joints to tie rods. the sputter and missing sounds like a totally different problem.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:12 PM
Seasoned Member

unfortianatly its not in the suspention its direcly affected by the throttle. if i let off and just coast its fine and when i get back on the gas it seems fine for a half a second then bogs down and does the speed bump thing
Old 12-13-2009, 01:18 PM
Seasoned Member

if i switch the tranny to comfort then i get the same symptoms at a lower speed
Old 12-13-2009, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by mudallday
unfortianatly its not in the suspention its direcly affected by the throttle. if i let off and just coast its fine and when i get back on the gas it seems fine for a half a second then bogs down and does the speed bump thing
i see what your saying. when you let off the gas you are "unloading the drive train" coasting. if changing the power/comfort button effects the symptom, you could be looking at a trans issue. the "speed bump" effect says something is out of balance.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:33 PM
Seasoned Member

yeah i hope its not, it has been the same for the hole time i have owned it and my freind who has it befor me had the same problem. and its not so much a vibration its like a bucking like the speed bumps are... huge ha
Old 12-13-2009, 01:38 PM

its tough to trouble shoot ya know? bad tire, bent rim, u-joints, balancer on engine, torque converter, drive shaft? there are several things that will cause it.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:55 PM
Seasoned Member

i have tried new rims, tires, u joints, oh well it gets me around and when it snow i wont get stuck i guess thats all that matters