Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Gotta fix my A/C- Question-

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 12:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Gotta fix my A/C- Question-

OK so I love my XJ, but last two days have been in the 90s and 100s, today is supposed to be the same so I broke down and drove the Neon. I hate that car but at least the AC works.

The problem with my A/C looks to be the + wire to the compressor- it was cut when the belt was thrown when the PS pump bearings failed.

Anyone had any experience pulling the pulley from the A/C with the compressor still in place? I can't even see the wire on the compressor end, but it SHOULD be on the bottom side of the compressor, and with the pulley gone I hope to be able to splice into it.

I only ask because I have a very poor history with pulleys. The three I have tried to remove in my life have ended with two of the three bent beyond use... That was even with a pulley puller. When I fixed the PS pump I used a JY one that was complete- figured I would remove the pulley from the core before returning it- epic fail (again). It was frozen in place so bad that it bent rather than come off. At least is was not needed like the last one I bent. I know, heat is your friend. Anyone want to loan me a torch? ;-)

Guy I got the XJ from said last summer the A/C worked, as that was the last time he used it. It was winter when the PS Pump failed-

Last edited by Destro; 06-25-2009 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l

Well as I understand, the wire must have broken on the compresser pump and is too short to get at without removing the compressor or pulley. I replaced my compressor on my 96 and it's very easy. The correct way is to have the R-134 removed professionally. Loosen the surpentine belt. Loosen and remove the high pressure and low pressure lines on the back of the compressor. There are 4 mounting bolts on top of the compressor, loosen and remove. You should be able to lift the compressor and disconnect the plug. No need to remove the pulley. Find your broken wire and splice it back together.