Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Got a new XJ but need some ideas!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 08:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 H.O.
Default Got a new XJ but need some ideas!

Hey There!

So I sold my 95XJ due to the motor developing a knock. I bought a truck in the mean time, which was a total waste of time and money. I just sold that and TODAY purchased a 97 XJ with 147k, 4 door for $1800.00!!!!! I stole it!

Now, it does need an exhaust manifold cause its cracked, it needs a catalytic converter and muffler. I need some ideas for brands. Like everyone else I have a very limited budget but I need to replace these parts now. What are some good aftermarket cat's and mufflers. I would like a flow master muffler but I have no idea about the cat or exhaust manifold.

Any and all help is much appreciated!! It is so good to be back in a Jeep!!

LCFRJEEP
Old 11-24-2010, 08:44 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Well I myself like OEM parts for things that matter like catalytic converters, BUT since your replacing the muffler, cat, and exhaust manifold why not throw in an over-sized exhaust? If your handy with metal machines/have access to some then do it for sure, you'll just have to shop around for a cat and a muffler that'll also be oversized. Get a better flowing exhaust and you;ll probably get a bit of power gain and/or better fuel mileage, if you throw on a glass pack instead of a muffler then you'll really sound good too!
Old 11-24-2010, 08:48 PM

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0

be careful, lots of power loss and damaged fuel economy when going to large in exhaust, engines are designed to run with specific back pressure..... do your research and dont believe everything vendors try to sell you
Old 11-24-2010, 08:54 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Macky
be careful, lots of power loss and damaged fuel economy when going to large in exhaust, engines are designed to run with specific back pressure..... do your research and dont believe everything vendors try to sell you
Ya that's up to OP to figure out I haven't done an oversized exhaust on my Cherokee but I imagine it'd be the same as any other car- do it right and you'll get some more HP and MPG. But please don't be a redneck that just puts strait pipes out the hood or side of your car that sound like a machine gun
Old 11-24-2010, 09:09 PM
Seasoned Member

well on my old 4 door 91xj, i had a stock exhaust manifold, and a stock cat, but i went and took of my old muffler that sounded like crap, and i went and bought my self a cherry bomb at autozone, got one of my buddys to weld it on, and it sounded pretty awsome. but then we did a test on removing the cat, and we had staright pipes with the cherry bomb and it sounded so sexy, Just like a v8. BUT THEN WE PUT THE CAT BACK WHERE IT BELONGED! we took the cat off for a test, and then we put it back on. just incase one of the moderators wants to say something, becuase yes i know we dont talk about removing cats on cherokeeforum.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:40 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 H.O.

So the cherry bomb muffler is comparable to the flowmaster?? I found a magnaflow high flow cat on JcWhitney.com that is supposed to be an exact fit. Does anyone have an opinion on the Magnaflow cat?
Old 11-25-2010, 10:18 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.o

had a magniflow cat. on 92xj for yrs. not a problem with it well made just make sure get the right gasket to connect it to the front pipe 4 bolts I would look into flowmaster 70 series muffler unless you WANT loud but loud gets old sold 92 bought 2000 in july sounds good the way it is dont know what make of muffler but it was replaced by po hes not a gear head so cant ask good luck with yours
Old 11-25-2010, 11:03 AM
Seasoned Member

Well here is a video with a grand cherokee that has a Magnaflow high flow cat.
Idk where this contry is at becuase he is driving on the wrong side of the road, lol