Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Got my 2001 Cherokee, but I have some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 08:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Got my 2001 Cherokee, but I have some questions.

Got my new jeep on Friday. Drove it 1000 miles from Cleveland back to Pensacola and let me say it ran like a dream. No issues mechanically but the interior is kinda bleh. So this leads me to my questions....

1. How do you get a smoker smell out of the Jeep for good. Fabric seats mind you.

2. After I get the smell out I'd like to order some neoprene seat covers. Read some threads but not too sure which is best. Suggestions?

3. I'm looking to get the catchall floormats. Anyone ever use these?

4. It looks like the Jeep is running on a stock lift with 30.00x9.50. They bump the fenderwell on big bumps which leads me to believe that they are a little too big. I haven't discovered any rubbing at all though. Unfortunately on my way down I had a tire blowout on me. Had to buy a cheapy to get back on the road since they didn't have my tire. So I'm thinking of craigslisting the remaining 3 and using the cheapy as my spare.

Choices that I like for replacement are the BFG All-Terrain KO and the Michelin LTX A/T2 I have the Michelin LTX A/T on my Bronco and I really like the look but these new ones kinda look cheesy. But in all honesty I'm interested in performance at high speeds when I'm rolling down the interstate and in conditions such as snow when I head up north. If anyone has better tire selections let me know. Also should I downgrade to stock size?

Thanks fellas and ladies.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:44 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

As far as getting the smoke smell out . . . . Start with a real good vacuuming. Seats, carpets, headliner. Everywhere.
Next . .full on interior shampoo. I've used a couple of different products, I found I like Powerout (by Armorall, or turtle wax or something) the best. There were 2 different styles to choose from. One for carpets, and one for seats. I grabbed, and used both.
After the shampoo step . . .giver with another vacuum. And again with a shampoo. Keep repeating . .. lol
Next step is to hang a little tree from your mirror. Haha.
Or . .remove the carpets all together and Line-x the floor . . .get new seats, and spray that vent de-odorizer in the vents . . .It will never really 100% go away.
Good luck.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:45 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l

A car dealer I know uses this for smoke odors.

http://smoke-odors.com/

Order a Quadratec catalog online to see what's available for neoprene and mats. You may find better prices, but it will be eye candy, and let you see what products are out there.

If you are only using your jeep on the highway, I'd say downsize the tires, but if they are in any kind of decent shape, and you intend to offroad at some point you might want to look into a budget lift and use the 30x9.50s.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:35 PM
CF Veteran

vacuum rinse repeat. and do a small spacer in the front and it wont rub any more. and the bfg's will be a good choice. i have never had the Michelin's so i am not sure on those.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by a1racer
vacuum rinse repeat. and do a small spacer in the front and it wont rub any more. and the bfg's will be a good choice. i have never had the Michelin's so i am not sure on those.
Pardon my noobness. Not really familiar with what a spacer is or how to add it. Sounds simple to do. I personally like the look of a larger tire.

If you direct me to a thread explaining that it would be helpful.

To others who have suggested shampooing. Did you shampoo the headliner? I may just get it replaced since it looks kinda grimy.

I'd like to off-road at some point but before I put money into getting a lift and such I want to update the sound system and make a few modifications like bumpers.

As to the one who suggested pulling the carpet out and using line-x. Is that pretty expensive??
Old 03-02-2009, 12:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 H.O. I6

I have 30x9.50x15R BFG All Terrains on a 3" lift, but i got the tires before i lifted it or i would of gone with 31"s, but i never had any problems with them rubbing the wheel wells on big bumps, mine always seemed to rub my control arms if i turned the wheel all the way though, havent had a problem since lifting it though, but my point is the BFG A/T's are a really good tire for the price, they are not loud on the road(humming), they have good traction in rain and snow, and they doing well enough off road, they dont self clean to well like most mud terrains do but if you keep the RPM's up and keep them spinning they will dig! just my opinion.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:19 AM

MT atz radials do great on the highway
Old 03-02-2009, 02:23 AM
Seasoned Member

Engine: I-6

KMs arent made anymore, thats the problem! they are fazing them out for the km2's.. They are an awesome tire, but hard to find now, or at least around here..
Old 03-02-2009, 02:24 AM
Seasoned Member

Engine: I-6

by the way i can understand why they are using KM2s instead of KMs.. They are an AWESOME TIRE!! clean great and grab like hell.. just my $.02
Old 03-02-2009, 06:17 AM

the bfgs are a great tire i have a set of all terains on mine now and will be buying another set shortly they do good on highway rain and snow somewhat to be desired off road but im used to the baja claws on my f150 but the bfgs are great tire as for the front lift it is basically polyurethane doughnuts that go go between your spring and body to create lift to install them you have to remove front coil put in spacer and put your spring back in your done
Old 03-02-2009, 09:36 AM
Seasoned Member

Quadratec has a great selection of seat covers, plenty to choose from but kinda pricey. As for the floor mats, I have the husky floor liners that are lipped on all sides which prevents mud and water getting everywhere. They are also made of durable rubber and is molded to fit your specific model of jeep. I have the whole set and I love them. You can get these from quadratec also.
As for tires, I use to have the BFG AT's, and saw that they stood up pretty well to wear and were great on the highway but still good in snow and mud conditions.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Noticed my door would not hold open and wondered if this piece is what I was looking for. I'm pretty sure that is the part unless I've been eating paint chips lately.

Edit: Figured this one out. Door check is going to need to be replaced. Roller pin didn't fix the issue.

Last edited by LazersGoPEWPEW; 03-13-2009 at 12:09 AM. Reason: New info
Old 03-17-2009, 07:21 PM
Seasoned Member

A photo of my relatively new 2001 XJ.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Comanche
Engine: I6 4.0L

Have never heard of those floor mats however husky makes some really good fitted floor mats with colors that will match your interior so maybe check them out
Old 03-17-2009, 07:34 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by LazersGoPEWPEW
A photo of my relatively new 2001 XJ.

looks nice i like the green ones

Quick Reply: Got my 2001 Cherokee, but I have some questions.