Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Got the Jeep home

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 03:20 AM
::Regional Moderator::

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Default Got the Jeep home

Well, FINALLY got me a Cherokee, this one a '98 4.0L, auto., w/4WD, loaded with options. Found it on Craigslist out of Athens, GA, and drove it back on Saturday. Rides well although seems to have some wandering issues, which I've found great tips and advice about in this forum after doing some simple searches. Track bar and a few other things might be slightly warn.

Whenever I buy a used vehicle, I replace every fluid, filter (within reason), do a full tune up (cap, rotor, plugs, wires), and fix any leaks it has.

On mine, it has the usual valve cover leak, which I'll tackle this weekend when I attack the Jeep. I'll be heading to NAPA (can't stand the big national chains, any more), and the dealer for parts, over the next few days.

Here's my plan of attack, and I'm looking for opinions from you guys on this, considering the truck is about to hit 200K miles:

1, Oil change, to Castrol Syntec. Grade(5W-30, 10W-30), etc.?
2. Diff. lube flush and change.
3. Tranny fluid and filter change (fluid is a little dirty but nothing nasty appears to be going on). Dexron III.
4. Power steering fluid flush.
5. Transfer case flush. Dexron III.
6. Valve cover gasket replacement.
7. Performance tune up. Definitely looking for tips, here. Preference for plugs, etc. NAPA sells an Accel kit, although I've always liked just plain old brass cap and rotor, with good wires and Autolite or NGK plugs.
8. Air filter.
9. PCV valve.
10. Gonna TRY to get it to a tire place on Sat. to have the tires rotated and balanced, plus a slow leak fixed on one (BFG tires with decent tread).

It's a stock Jeep which runs great and suits my needs perfectly. Stock alloys, which I plan on keeping (for now). It looks great, inside and out, has leather and other options I've never had on a daily driver/fun vehicle.

One issue which caight my eye, right off the bat:

1. Excessive frost on the A/C parts in the engine compartment. Lost A/C over the weekend, yet there was like .25" of frost on the accumulator, today, with just the defrost on inside the vehicle.

I don't have a clue about A/C diagnostics, so, feel free to fire away at that one

Oh, one more thing. What should my oil pressure be? Idle? Warmed up? Certain RPM's? Going down the road mine goes up to about 40, but drops below 20 at a light (at least what the stock gauge is telling me).

-
Old 10-14-2009, 07:34 AM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0

everything sounds good idk about AC but my 98 does the same thing with the oil pressure nothing to be alarmed about
Old 10-14-2009, 07:42 AM

your A/C problem is simple. you are basically freezing up. your oriface/expansion valve is restricing to much pressure and causing the freeze up. if you want it fixed, the system will need to be evacuated and the part replaced.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:44 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998 XJ
Engine: 4.0L

Your oil pressure sounds good,
got any pics
Old 10-14-2009, 07:44 AM

another thought on this. you said your not all that A/C savy. most aren't. typically they will keep adding freon (refrigerent) until they think its cold enough. the system is designed to workl optimally with a specific amount in it. you may try just getting the system evac-ed and recharged to the right amount
Old 10-14-2009, 04:28 PM

send pics soon. thanks.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:56 PM
::Regional Moderator::

Engine: I6

Originally Posted by warthog
Your oil pressure sounds good,
got any pics

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'll post pics as soon as I get a new digital camera which will jive with my kinda-new laptop (week or so).

It's hunter green, with matching grille and fender flares. Tan interior.

I'll look into the expansion valve, thanks for the heads up.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's my plan of attack, and I'm looking for opinions from you guys on this, considering the truck is about to hit 200K miles:

1, Oil change, to Castrol Syntec. Grade(5W-30, 10W-30), etc.?
2. Diff. lube flush and change.
3. Tranny fluid and filter change (fluid is a little dirty but nothing nasty appears to be going on). Dexron III.
4. Power steering fluid flush.
5. Transfer case flush. Dexron III.
6. Valve cover gasket replacement.
7. Performance tune up. Definitely looking for tips, here. Preference for plugs, etc. NAPA sells an Accel kit, although I've always liked just plain old brass cap and rotor, with good wires and Autolite or NGK plugs.
8. Air filter.
9. PCV valve.
10. Gonna TRY to get it to a tire place on Sat. to have the tires rotated and balanced, plus a slow leak fixed on one (BFG tires with decent tread).
For Oil; With 200k you want to consider 10w40, or if you have any lifter tick/tap. This weight oil will also help with the leaks. As for brands that is of much debate, I would say usw your favorite band. I have seen Shell Rotella 10w40 mentioned many'a times on here and Naxja.

I have been using Valvoline High Mileage syn blend in 10w40 with a just under a quart of Lucas Oil stabilizer. I have 189,xx on the clock and she runs strong.

For Tune up; The 4.0l runs well on Champions. As for Cap, rotor and wires take a look at this, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-867625CR/. I have this kit and I say for the price you can not beat it.

The Felpro valve cover gasket set is nice and includes grommets for the bolt holes. Its about $30-35 at most Auto Parts stores.

Good luck. And we like pictures.