Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Goodyear tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0HO
Default Goodyear tires

Hey, this is my first post. Im not sure if this is the write section, but i had a general question...

I was going to buy some new Goodyear MTR's. And i was told by someone that the old tread pattern isnt available anymore, is this true?

Love the forum.
Thanks guys.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L I6 Powertech

that would be FALSE!
old:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=Wrangler+MT/R

new:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires..../R+with+Kevlar
Old 06-21-2010, 05:16 PM
Registered Users

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by truckntractorhick
wrong!!! it is true. they have been discontiuned. Tirerack and discounttiredirect.com doesnt have the old ones in stock. it really all depends on if you are looking for an abnormal tire size then someone MIGHT have it in stock.

the new kevlar mtr's are the best all around tire I have ever seen. my km2's are horrible compared to the new kevlar's!
Old 06-21-2010, 05:21 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

Had a guy I met that ran the Ultimate Adventure with Peterson's last year and got a set. Sold them 2 days after he got home. Said they were awful in the rocks and OK at best in the mud.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L I6 Powertech

yea but u can still get it! just harder...
Old 06-21-2010, 05:25 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by xjmarc
Had a guy I met that ran the Ultimate Adventure with Peterson's last year and got a set. Sold them 2 days after he got home. Said they were awful in the rocks and OK at best in the mud.
did he drive a yota? why I ask, a vendor thats local to me went on this run as a detroit locker sponsor and EVERYONE there loved them. UA is usually a BFG sponsor and it was the first year goodyear sponsored the event. Kevlar MTR's are great!

why i asked if he drove a yota is because the detroit rep said only one person in the UA group sold their tires right after the event
Old 06-21-2010, 05:27 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by truckntractorhick
yea but u can still get it! just harder...
through my goodyear sales rep you cant get 30-37's in the nation. all warehouses and dealers do not have them. thats directly out of the mouth of goodyear!

That Sucks! The old tread pattern was my favorite tire tread. Oh well.

Guess ill be getting some Mickey Thompson MTZ's. Anyone have an opinion on them? Any pics of your rigs with MTZ's? Links, etc.

Thanks for the help again guys.
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 ltr

If you like the old style tread design you can get them for half the price of the original MTRs from Treadwright.com (http://www.treadwright.com/shopnow/p...rd-dog-mt.aspx)
Old 06-21-2010, 05:28 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by prerunner1982
If you like the old style tread design you can get them for half the price of the original MTRs from Treadwright.com (http://www.treadwright.com/shopnow/p...rd-dog-mt.aspx)
the largest they carry is a 31. also the sidewalls are not as strong as the originals.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:31 PM

Yea, the MT/R's i had were awesome. No complaints at all about them. Thats why i wanted some more of them, i just hate the way the new tread pattern looks. Reminds me of like a more aggressive looking Michelin all-weather tire on a Porche Cayanne or something. Just dont like them IMO.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:37 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by EarshotXJ
Yea, the MT/R's i had were awesome. No complaints at all about them. Thats why i wanted some more of them, i just hate the way the new tread pattern looks. Reminds me of like a more aggressive looking Michelin all-weather tire on a Porche Cayanne or something. Just dont like them IMO.
reason GY went to the new tread design is because of all the complaints the received because the original sucked so bad. worked OK in rock but was horrible in any dirt of any kind. the new design people have loved since they were released that they have came out with a sticky version!

thats great you liked them but sucks now since they have been fazed out. what size are you looking for? i can call my GY rep and see what he says for you....... let me know
Old 06-21-2010, 05:42 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by xjoffroad
did he drive a yota? why I ask, a vendor thats local to me went on this run as a detroit locker sponsor and EVERYONE there loved them. UA is usually a BFG sponsor and it was the first year goodyear sponsored the event. Kevlar MTR's are great!

why i asked if he drove a yota is because the detroit rep said only one person in the UA group sold their tires right after the event
Lucky guess, he does wheel a yota and last time I saw it it was running Maxxis Creepy Crawlers (drool).
Old 06-21-2010, 05:46 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by EarshotXJ
That Sucks! The old tread pattern was my favorite tire tread. Oh well.

Guess ill be getting some Mickey Thompson MTZ's. Anyone have an opinion on them? Any pics of your rigs with MTZ's? Links, etc.

Thanks for the help again guys.
Look at my pics. Been running them for about a year and they seem to be doing pretty good. I ran the old MT/Rs as well but had a problem with the sidewalls (no flex at 8psi and cut a bit to easy in rocks) but liked them as well as long as I didn't have to cross a mud puddle. The MTZs do well on the street and a pretty quiet for a mud tire. Mine are chunking a bit in the rocks but I haven't had a tire that didn't. They love mud and jagged rock but on really slick rock you have to warm them a bit.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:47 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by xjmarc
Lucky guess, he does wheel a yota and last time I saw it it was running Maxxis Creepy Crawlers (drool).
its a white tundra. sweet rig for sure! the creepys are awesome tires!

Quick Reply: Goodyear tires