Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

General maintenance help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default General maintenance help!

Hi i just bought a 1990 jeep cherokee 4.0 with 150,000 miles first jeep ever!, and im looking into doing some routine service since the previous owner didnt do didly squat and wanted some help as to what you recommend checking and servicing...my thoughts were

Transfer case fluid....what weight oil?
Front diff...what weight oil?
Rear diff... what weight oil?
Transmission...?

I already greased the front end please help me out and with my new toy so i can have some long lasting fun, any imput is greatly appriciated thanks!
Old 11-27-2011, 08:01 AM

Year: 96
Engine: 4.0

theres a lot of different fluids and people all have their preferences but this is what i run in my 96.

front and rear diff: Mobile 1 75w 90 LS. in my opinion run either mobile 1 or royal purple because they both have the additives for limited slip differentials, even if you dont have one, or you dont know if you do, its just better to be safe.

transfer case fluid: i run ATF +4 synthetic. you can run basically any type of tranny fluid but they recommend using ATF +3 or +4 or you can buy the expensive mopar oil from a dealer

as far as any other fluids obviously engine oil, i personally run 10w30 royal purple for high milage, but i wheel my jeep and it gets abused.

you could get it in for a tranny fluid flush, wouldnt hurt.

other things to consider is distributer cap and rotor and plugs and wires and fuel filter, all could use replacing im sure.

hope that helps
Old 11-27-2011, 09:33 AM

Welcome to the group. There is a huge wealth of knowledge on this forum. They can help you fix pretty much anything on your jeep.

I am not near my garage so I dont know all of the specs off the top of my head.

Think about picking up a clymer/haynes/factory service manual. They are pretty cheap on amazon and will list everything from fluids to torque specs and instructions to do almost anything on the jeep

I also have a three ring binder, as you need to do stuff (and you will) there are step by step write ups on this and other forums. Print them out to have them handy while doing the work. Put them in the binder when you are done for a reference later. You can also keep a log of maintenence, keep other random references and keep receipts for stuff (that has a warranty) handy for when you need it.

Enjoy the jeep, we all do!!
Old 11-27-2011, 10:06 AM

Year: 96

^
l
l said it perfectly, welcome and im sure you can find any info you need
l on this forum.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:23 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 Renix

I would also change your fuel filter and do a complete tune including your pcv valve...