Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

General Maintenance

Old 04-25-2012, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default General Maintenance

Hey all. I bought my first Cherokee at the beginning of the month. It's a '96 two-door with 185,xxx miles. So far I've changed the oil/ filter, spark plugs, wires, fuel filter, fuel hoses (3/8" rubber ones that go in and out of filter), driver side taillight, and rear diff fluid. I also adjusted the e-brake and the rear brakes. I plan on doing the front diff fluid and transmission and transfer case fluid as well (Redline MTL is the best, right?)

I suppose I want your input on any other general maintenance things I should do. The engine runs like a champ. Just anything to look at with more scrutiny?

Thanks y'all
Old 04-25-2012, 11:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

Take a look at your air filter, check what kind of shape your coolant is in as well as the components of the cooling system, take a look at your front brake pads, rotate your tires.

As far as transmission/transfer case fluid, use Dexron/Merc III. NO EXCEPTIONS to this.

Take a look at motor mounts and transmission mount to see what kind of shape they are in as well.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:56 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1987
Engine: I6

Originally Posted by 1996sportXJ
Take a look at your air filter, check what kind of shape your coolant is in as well as the components of the cooling system, take a look at your front brake pads, rotate your tires.

As far as transmission/transfer case fluid, use Dexron/Merc III. NO EXCEPTIONS to this.

Take a look at motor mounts and transmission mount to see what kind of shape they are in as well.
This guy is rockin a 5 speed. No Dex III required. ATF for the t case but not specifically Dex III. AX5 takes 10W30 motor oil.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999

Never under estimate the importance of a good cooling system.
I would do a cooling system flush and check if hoses need to be replaced.
Just my .02
Old 04-25-2012, 01:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

Originally Posted by JeepDeep
This guy is rockin a 5 speed. No Dex III required. ATF for the t case but not specifically Dex III. AX5 takes 10W30 motor oil.
Dang... Well always give your specs when creating a new thread! Cause on the app, you can't view that information.

Anyways, this guy has it right in that case.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:50 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

As far as fluids go:

Differentials: 75W90 front and back. If you do a lot of towing, consider 75W140 or around there for the rear. Limited slip differentials require an additive, which is present in most synthetic gear oils anyway.

Transfer case: New Venture Gear and your Jeep manual calls for Dexron II/Mercon fluid. Dexron III is the new version and is compatible. Some bottles are just labelled "D/M"

Manual Transmission: The AX-5 and AX-15 originally called for 75W90 API GL3 fluid. This is no longer available. GL5 fluid is designed for differentials and has an additive that will destroy the synchros in your transmission. The AX-5 and AX-15 have not been produced for a very long time and, rather than keeping an oddball fluid in stock that nobody buys, Chrysler replaced the part number with 10W30. The manufacturer, Aisin Warner, has never recommended 10W30 as it is not designed for it. 10W30 is NOT gear oil and will not lubricate your transmission properly. Redline MTL is a great choice that is very similar to 75W90 GL3 lube and is friendly to yellow metals to boot If you cant get Redline MTL easily, give Pennzoil or Castrol Synchromesh fluids a try.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:17 AM

Hey thanks everyone. I had been wanting to drain the coolant anyway, definitely will now.

I was just rooting around in my garage yesterday and found a 1500 page Chilton repair manual! It's for all domestic trucks and vans from 1993-1997. Which means... it has my Cherokee! Considering I was gonna buy one, saved some money there.