Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Gauges not working

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Gauges not working

Ok so I meant to post this earlier but forgot. So I was driving in 20degree weather had been driving for about 30mins with the defrost on and it was nice and toasty in the cab. Then the gauges started to mess up, the air bag light comes on, check engine light flipped on then off. It has done this a few times after driving for awhile with the heat on when it's been cold. It also did this during summer a few times when it was 90+ degrees out. My AC does work and it was on when it did that.
My XJ is a 98, 4.0, auto limited edition

The link to YouTube should work. I would live to get this fixed sooner than later cause Im afraid of an electrical firer or something bad. I haven't been able to look at the wiring yet.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

This is a very common problem. Next time it happen try slapping the top of the dash above the instrument cluster. If they come back on more then likely you either have a loose connection in the back of the cluster or dirty connection. You will need to pull the cluster and clean all the connection and tighten the grounds back there.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:02 PM

Good to know. I will definitely try that next time. The cluster feels warm too so idk if that plays into that or not. I'm hopefully going to do a led swap for the cluster when it gets a bit warmer out too.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:36 AM

Any luck with your guage problem? My 99 did the exact same thing today on the fwy. Ran fine, just no tach/speedo and check engine and airbag light came on. When I stepped on the brake pedal to slow down, everything started working again.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:15 AM

I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, the Jeep has been parked and have been driving the girlfriends Rav4 for a bit. I'm hoping in a week
Old 03-24-2013, 07:37 AM

Year: 1998

Very common, mine does it, I just slap the dash and it starts working. I need to take the dash apart and clean the connections. There is a tsb on that.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:43 AM

Year: 1998

NO: 08-15-99
SUBJECT: Erratic, Intermittent Cluster Operation/Intermittent Air Bag Warning
light.
DATE: May 21, 1999
THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN NUMBER 08-20-98
REV. A, DATED OCTOBER 2, 1998, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR
FILES AND NOTED IN THE BOUND TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN BOOK,
PUBLICATION NUMBER 81-699-99003. THIS IS A COMPLETE REVISION TO THE
PROCEDURE.
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves installing a repair harness containing a revised instrument cluster connector.
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Some vehicles may exhibit an intermittent illumination of the air bag warning light or an intermittent
tachometer or speedometer drop out. An Airbag Electronic Control Module (AECM) fault code -"No
Cluster CCD BUS " message will be present.
DIAGNOSIS:
Using the DRB III®, read and record all active and stored fault codes in the AECM. This condition is
caused by minor oxidation of the BUS circuit terminals at the instrument cluster connector.
Electrical terminals will show signs of oxidation, which will appear as darkened lines or marks on
the cluster male terminals. These often appear as gray or black marks rather than the appearance of
oxidation or corrosion usually associated with higher current carrying circuits. This condition will set
a "NO CLUSTER CCD BUS" message. The fault code will usually be stored and not active. THIS
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN WILL NOT ADDRESS FUEL OR OIL PRESSURE
GAUGE ISSUES. If this fault code is present, either active or stored perform the Repair Procedure.
PARTS REQUIRED:
REPAIR PROCEDURE:
1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2. Remove the instrument cluster using the procedures outlined in the appropriate servicemanual.
3. Inspect the male terminals of pins 1 & 2 on the instrument cluster connector labeled CNB (See
Figure 1). The oxidation will appear as gray or black lines or marks on the terminals. If any
Qty Part No. Description
1 05016261AA Cluster Connector Patch Harness
1 04856975 Electric Contact Cleaner
2 04778570 Heat Shrink Tubing
THIS REPAIR IS COMPATIBLE WITH DAIMLERCHRYSLER'S
MOBILE SERVICE PROGRAM AND DOES NOT REQUIRE HOISTS OR
OTHER FULL SERVICE FACILITY SPECIAL EQUIPMENT.
signs of oxidation are present, remove them by gently scraping the terminals with a small flat
bladed screw driver until the oxidation is gone. Use of a magnifying glass may be helpful (See
Figure 2). Use caution when performing this operation. Do not apply excessive force to the
terminals to avoid bending them or damaging the cluster or terminals. Do not use a sharp tool,
knife or sand paper, which could remove the protective plating from the terminals. Do not use
any cleaner other than p/n 04856975. Other chemical cleaners could damage the instrument
cluster.
4. Clean the male terminals with Electrical Contact cleaner, p/n 04856975. Apply the cleaner
sparingly holding the cluster with the connector facing down to avoid excessive amount of
cleaner from entering the cluster.
5. Remove the green cluster connector from the bracket.
6. Using wire cutters, remove the instrument cluster harness connector from the harness. Remove
only the connector containing the BUS circuit (See Figure 1). This connector is labeled CBA
on the cluster. Cut the wires as close to the insulator as possible.
7. The new connector must be soldered onto the harness. This operation requires a technician
who is skilled at soldering to avoid a cold solder joint. Position the harness and align the wires
with the patch harness, matching the color codes match the main wire colors.
NOTE: THE XJ INSTRUMENT PANEL CONTAINS ONE MORE CIRCUIT IN THIS
CONNECTOR THAN THE TJ. CUT THE UNUSED WIRE CLOSE TO THE
CONNECTOR ON TJ MODELS.
8. Stagger cut the main harness and patch harness wires so that the solder joints will be 1/2 inch
apart. Remove 1/2 inch of insulation from the wires. The new harness will have a dark blue
with no tracer. This will mate with a dark blue wire with a green tracer on TJ and with a dark
blue wire with a white tracer on XJ.
9. Slide a piece of heat shrink tubing over the wires and twist the wires together for each
respective circuit.
10. Solder each circuit using rosin core solder. Be sure to heat the wire enough to allow the solder
to melt when it comes in contact with wire. Do not use acid core solder.
11. Position the heat shrink tubing over the solder joints and shrink the tubing using a heat gun.
12. Install the connector to the bracket.
13. Install the instrument cluster.
14. Connect the battery cable.
15. Verify correct operation of the cluster.
POLICY:
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
TIME ALLOWANCE:
FAILURE CODE:
Labor Op. No. Time
08-90-90-91 0.6 Hrs.
Code Description
P8 New Part
Old 03-25-2013, 03:47 AM

Dang dude that's some thorough stuff. Solid work.
Old 09-20-2019, 05:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default avoid this vendor!!!!

Please avoid this vendor, FactoryChryslerParts.com/Thunder Chrysler. The main purpose of my purchase was to have the full kit to repair the "NO BUS" issue in a 2001 Jeep Cherokee, which has a service bulletin that specifically ask to have a service kit which needs three parts, the main part is the Cluster Connector Patch Harness (05016261AA) that needs to be replaced, it also ask for Heat Shrink Tubing and an Electric Contact Cleaner (these last two parts are very easy to find aftermarket). So I googled the main part# 05016261AA and this Factory Chrysler Parts appeared on the list of vendors.
After TWO weeks of the purchase, they ONLY sent me the Heat Shrink Tubing and the Electric Contact Cleaner, they charged me $19.39 (parts cost $9.36 about $10.00 for shipping and handling).
I wasn't informed that the part was discontinued BEFORE the order was shipped, If I knew that in advance, I'd cancel the purchase. What is the point for paying the shipment for the other parts (tube shrink and lubricant) that I can easily find at any auto parts store around the corner?
I complaint by email and by phone (I don't know why they have a Dayton, Ohio area phone when they are in Florida), Chris (sorry, they don't provide last name) said that the part 05016261AA is discontinued and they don't have it, so I requested a label for return the other parts and Chris said that I have to pay for that return label unless parts arrived damaged so they cover the charge but parts need to be return in the original package. I won't pay $10 to return $10 parts. Also, I told him that the Electric Contact Cleaner arrived damaged and they sent them in an old used box and the parts where loose inside it without any original package, he didn't pay attention when I told him that, anyway, I won't return it because they will find any excuse to don't refund.
Please, don't waste your time with these "people", they are dishonest.

The following users liked this post:
BigGreenJeep (10-14-2019)