Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Gauge cluster swap help

Old 05-09-2012, 01:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Unhappy Gauge cluster swap help

Hey, I have an 88 4.0 auto Olympic edition with a gauge panel that has the small water temp gauge, small battery voltage gauge, large speedo/odometer, small oil pressure (not working), large gas gauge (not working) and an empty gauge spot. I swapped it for my parts jeep cluster (88 4.0 5speed Laredo) which had full gauges including a working oil pressure, tachometer, gas gauge, water temp, and spedo/odometer. So here are my problems....

1. My gass gauge can't make up it's damn mind. When I first swapped it in, the needle would go up simotaniously with the tach then once it shifted to 2nd it would read normally again. Plus its not accurate because it read an 8th of a tank when I ran outa gas.

2. 2 of the instrument lights don't glow because on both sides of the bulb is a ground instead of a positive and a ground.

3. I am blowing through fuses like no other. The 15 amp fuse for my dash/tail lights keep blowing. And I've never had this problem before the swap.

If you have any reasons/remidies for these problems please help cuz I don't want to go back to using my old cluster because the needle on the gas gauge is broken off, the oil pressure is busted also, and I rrrreeeeaaaalllly like having a tach. Yes I no a tach in an auto Is stupid but I like it.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6

Fixed the fuse Problem. The previos owner didn't know how to hook up trailer lights and some bare wires were grounding out and that's what kept blowing fuses but I just electrical taped the he'll outa them. Pooh and the gas gauze is progressively getting more accurate and it doesn't move with the tach anymore.