Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

gauge cluster does not work on 96 xj

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default gauge cluster does not work on 96 xj

I have tested every single fuse, check all the wires and even replaced the speed sensor. At first it was just the speedometer, then all the sudden everything went out. The only thing that sort of works is the temp gauge. I now have to carry extra fuel with me at all times. Which is fine except sometims I have to drive my 4 month old daughter around and I don't want her to breath the fumes, but I dont really have a choice. Any suggestions would be great.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L i6

Originally Posted by taylor_usmc72
I have tested every single fuse, check all the wires and even replaced the speed sensor. At first it was just the speedometer, then all the sudden everything went out. The only thing that sort of works is the temp gauge. I now have to carry extra fuel with me at all times. Which is fine except sometims I have to drive my 4 month old daughter around and I don't want her to breath the fumes, but I dont really have a choice. Any suggestions would be great.
You tried pulling the cluster and ensuring all the bolts in the back are tight.

Do they light up at all?

Does the odometer work?
Old 03-22-2012, 04:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

Originally Posted by kissthis66
You tried pulling the cluster and ensuring all the bolts in the back are tight.

Do they light up at all?

Does the odometer work?
^2x
Old 03-25-2012, 11:26 AM

yes i did. all that is good and all the lights are good also. and i just recently noticed that my compass and exterior thermometer isn't working either. the one on the roof
Old 03-25-2012, 02:08 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998 Sport

yes i did. all that is good and all the lights are good also. and i just recently noticed that my compass and exterior thermometer isn't working either. the one on the roof

When you were back there did you check the connections most of the time they do get corroded and cause the problem.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:34 PM

i checked and didn't see any. could that cluster itself just be bad?
Old 03-27-2012, 07:49 PM

I have been researching this for about 18 months now. I have a '97 with the same problem. I have removed and cleaned the cluster connections, have cleaned the engine grounds, replaced the turn signal indicator and some other stuff with no luck. I don't think it's a corrosion or connection issue because going over a bump or tapping on the cluster doesn't restore the gauges. Most of the time turning the right turn signal on will get them going again after about 45 seconds. I have seen one post somewhere that suggests it may be a bad component that's being scanned by one of the engine computers. These appear to include power door switches and other stuff. It's still driving me crazy.

That post suggests unplugging components one at a time to see if it's fixed. Others swear by running a new ground to the cluster, replacing the cluster, replacing the ECU, cleaning various ground points beneath the dash and the most popular -- putting in a Jeep tech fix that adds new connectors to the existing cluster wiring by soldering in new wires. These were in a kit released by Jeep several years ago.

Last edited by tarheel77; 03-27-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:49 PM

dang. well I guess I'll try testing the components first. where can I find the kits if it comes down to that?
Old 04-10-2012, 02:06 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

When you check the fuse, are you also check to see if the fuse panel has power to it?
Old 04-11-2012, 08:08 AM

If you google for Jeep instrument wiring repair kit, you should find results. Dealer should know about it.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:28 PM

Have you found a fix yet? This same thing just happened to me today. I was changing my oil and the dipstick handle broke off while I was trying to remove the oils filter. So I pulled the dipstick tube and removed the dipstick. After that, my instrument cluster stopped working. My oil pressure, engine temp, and battery gauges work but nothing else. And I know it's not the fuse....the light indicating that the gas tank is empty is staying lit.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:59 PM

Year: 1990

Im dealing with the same thing in a 96.. oil pressure volts and temp.. everything else just stopped.. dis anyone ever solve their problem?
Old 09-13-2012, 09:30 AM

Davirbaked,

I'm convinced one of the sensors, instruments or controls is malfunctioning. I haven't tracked it down yet. Have seen several articles where cleaning up a sensor connection, finding a corroded wire or replacing a bad window switch, etc. cleared the problem. It is not the connection behind the instruments in my jeep. Tried this several times. That's a red herring. Good luck