Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

fuse blows when headlights turned on

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 H.O.
Default fuse blows when headlights turned on

15 amp fuse keeps blowing when I turn my headlights on. The headlights continue to work, but the tail, turn, and brake lights do not work when the fuse is blown. Everything works fine until i turn the headlights on. Any ideas on where to start? Seems to be a short somewhere, but i have no idea where to start the process.
Thanks for any help!
Old 06-27-2009, 05:16 PM

Do you have a trailer wiring harness? 4 pin flat or 7 pin round (RV-style)?

I'd check that first to make sure that you don't have a short to ground. If you DO have a 7 pin trailer harness, unplug it from the driver's side kick panel. You have to remove the driver's side taillight/lens housing to gain access. a 7 pin has multiple relays on a seperate harness. Remove this harness from the circuit just as an experiment to see if you keep blowing fuses. If you don't use the 7 pin trailer connector, you could just eleminate it from the circuit all together by simply pluging the the main harness into the taillight harness. It'll all make sense once you tear into it.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

Headlights are on a separate circuit with a breaker.

You may have a taillight or clearance light bulb that has a short to ground.

You might end up taking every one of them out and reinstalling them one at a time until the fuse blows.

Get a fistful of fuses before you start all this.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by masteroak
15 amp fuse keeps blowing when I turn my headlights on. The headlights continue to work, but the tail, turn, and brake lights do not work when the fuse is blown. Everything works fine until i turn the headlights on. Any ideas on where to start? Seems to be a short somewhere, but i have no idea where to start the process.
Thanks for any help!
Ha! I am tracing down the same EXACT problem! So far every bulb is out, including the headlight switch, but there is still continuity from both terminals on every running light socket. Getting frustrated thats for sure. I was unable to even segregate the front from the back..let me know if you figure it out! Checking the trailer wiring next.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:52 PM

[quote=farmfuel;216881]Do you have a trailer wiring harness? 4 pin flat or 7 pin round (RV-style)?

I do have the 7 pin harness. It all started when I went mudding in the field behind my house during a big rainstorm. Prior to that, everything was fine. Also, I took off the rear hatch panel and was going to replace the speakers, but ended up not completing this. Are any of the wires in the rear hatch likely to be the culprit?
Thanks! I will start messing tomorrow morning and see where I get.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have either of you been inside the rear hatch panel lately? Possibly found a loose connector and plugged it together?

Check this thread and it may have an answer.
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/dreaded-electrical-sizzle-17743/
Old 06-27-2009, 08:53 PM

Ha! I am tracing down the same EXACT problem! So far every bulb is out, including the headlight switch, but there is still continuity from both terminals on every running light socket. Getting frustrated thats for sure. I was unable to even segregate the front from the back..let me know if you figure it out! Checking the trailer wiring next.[/quote]

Sorry you are going through the same thing. Let me know if you figure anything out and I will do the same.
Mike
Old 06-27-2009, 09:03 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by winston427
Have either of you been inside the rear hatch panel lately? Possibly found a loose connector and plugged it together?

Check this thread and it may have an answer.
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/showthread.php?t=17743

You are a genious! I owe you a cold one or 12...
Went out and disconnected the plug which I was messing with when I was going to replace my speakers and thought it was a connect between the left and right speakers. The other post does not give any clue at to what the connection is for. Anyone have any idea?
Old 06-27-2009, 09:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The only thing I could find was that it is for the license plate light on an XJ with the factory swing out tire carrier because the tire covers the stock plate location. I looked at my 87 junker and that plug is connected for the plate light and the plug for the standard plate light is not. Somehow when both are connected it creates a ground fault circuit that blows the fuse.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

Originally Posted by winston427
The only thing I could find was that it is for the license plate light on an XJ with the factory swing out tire carrier because the tire covers the stock plate location. I looked at my 87 junker and that plug is connected for the plate light and the plug for the standard plate light is not. Somehow when both are connected it creates a ground fault circuit that blows the fuse.
Yeah, and in Europe they use those wires to power 2 license plate lights instead of our 1.

Their plates are longer.