Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Fuel system issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Fuel system issues

Well, where to start... Im having a few fuel issues and I wanted to see if anyone has had anything similar before I pull the tank as it's my dd and I cant have it down for long periods of time.

There are numerous issues and I believe they are all conected so I'll list them point form:
- hard starting, takes 5 seconds at least to turn over. This is rectified by cycling the fuel pump 3 times then it fires right up (typically a fuel pressure regulator issue)
- If I fill the tank right up the fuel will come spilling out the top of the tank and it would be impossible to get the gas pump to auto shut off.
- Going up steep hills my fuel cuts out... it is better when the tank has more fuel in it, but I was travelling into the mountains to go fishing this weekend and it almost didn't make it up some of the bigger climbs.

Now, this is either a bad fuel pump or just a fuel pressure regulator. Building the pressure by turning the key 3 different times tells me its the regulator, but then why would it cut out on steep hills? That part makes me think the actual pump is bad.

Then to top it off the gas coming out of the top of the tank just throws me for a complete loop?

any thoughts or suggestions?
Old 05-31-2010, 07:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Brizz
Well, where to start... Im having a few fuel issues and I wanted to see if anyone has had anything similar before I pull the tank as it's my dd and I cant have it down for long periods of time.

There are numerous issues and I believe they are all conected so I'll list them point form:
- hard starting, takes 5 seconds at least to turn over. This is rectified by cycling the fuel pump 3 times then it fires right up (typically a fuel pressure regulator issue) Could also be leaky injectors
- If I fill the tank right up the fuel will come spilling out the top of the tank and it would be impossible to get the gas pump to auto shut off. sounds like plug vent or bad charchol canister
- Going up steep hills my fuel cuts out... it is better when the tank has more fuel in it, but I was travelling into the mountains to go fishing this weekend and it almost didn't make it up some of the bigger climbs. could be cause by the refueling issue, could be bad pump

Now, this is either a bad fuel pump or just a fuel pressure regulator. Building the pressure by turning the key 3 different times tells me its the regulator, but then why would it cut out on steep hills? That part makes me think the actual pump is bad.

Then to top it off the gas coming out of the top of the tank just throws me for a complete loop?

any thoughts or suggestions?
Sounds to me like you have multiple issues going. Get the fuel pressure tested. Don't know what year you are but the filter needs to be changed, early XJ are on the frame rail later models in the tank (part of the pump). Might try doing a Seafoam treatment, 1 bottle in a 1/4 tank run it till almost out and refuel.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:40 PM

sry, 99 xj.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:33 AM

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0L

Just my 2 cents here, but I just figured out the problem with my rig after testing and replacing everything under the sun. Problem doesnt sound exactly the same, but at the same time some of it does. My rig would only allow me to hit around 2500 rpm and then just fall flat on its face. It got progressivly worse, but as I would come up to hills, since I could only get to 2500 rpm or less, I would just loose speed going up them. I tested my fuel pressure and I was right on at 31 PSI at idle. So I didnt even think twice about changing it. Well today I went to the local junk yard, in the rain I might add and pulled a pump and installed it. Voila, problem gone. So the pump was fine at idle, but at speed, it just didnt have the pressure or the volume or something. Hope that helps out.