Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

A few problems, that I hope someone can help me with.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Arrow A few problems, that I hope someone can help me with.

Hey guys, I have a few questions that I hope you can answer.

1.) My rear door shuts, and stays closed... but it doesn't sound like it closes all the way. Maybe just 98% of the way. I can close it, lock it, etc... but over bumps I've noticed I've had a "clunking" sound towards the back. I looked all around the suspension and it looked good. I couldn't figure out what was going on. That afternoon I went to open the rear door to get my toolbox, and noticed the door had some play to it... like it doesn't shut completely.

2.) My oil pressure gauge stays pegged at about the 3/4 mark.
3.) White/gray smoke comes out of my exhaust.
*My headgasket isn't in the best of shape, and I'm planning on replacing it after my wedding. Are these two issues due to the headgasket?

4.) My engine has a slight knock to it. It's not super loud, but it's definitely noticeable. It knocks no matter the time of day and temp of the engine. It increases and decreases depending on the RPMs.

It's a 1994 4.0HO Cherokee 2wd w/ 196K miles.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-31-2010, 11:53 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

Bump?
Old 06-01-2010, 12:27 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

sounds like it prob needs a head gasket. oil in coolant or vise versa? how good is your heat? A head gasket cant be 'not in the greatest shape' its either good or shot, and if its shot dont drive on it, unless you want to be having to dump $$$ into a motor. instead of getting the head checked and throwing a gasket at it. is it a knock, or a ticking noise?
Old 06-01-2010, 01:25 AM

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0L

white/grey smoke is a sign of coolant seeping in a cylinder. Sounds like a head gasket to me for sure. If you have some knocking, I am wondering if your oil pressure is actually low and your gauge just isnt working all together. Might all be related, but I would, as the previous poster stated, fix the head gasket right away and not drive around on it especially with the knock. Would suck to have the engine go on ya cause you didnt take the time to replace a 30 dollar gasket.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 inline 6

Originally Posted by JoshM
Hey guys, I have a few questions that I hope you can answer.

1.) My rear door shuts, and stays closed... but it doesn't sound like it closes all the way. Maybe just 98% of the way. I can close it, lock it, etc... but over bumps I've noticed I've had a "clunking" sound towards the back. I looked all around the suspension and it looked good. I couldn't figure out what was going on. That afternoon I went to open the rear door to get my toolbox, and noticed the door had some play to it... like it doesn't shut completely.

2.) My oil pressure gauge stays pegged at about the 3/4 mark.
3.) White/gray smoke comes out of my exhaust.
*My headgasket isn't in the best of shape, and I'm planning on replacing it after my wedding. Are these two issues due to the headgasket?

4.) My engine has a slight knock to it. It's not super loud, but it's definitely noticeable. It knocks no matter the time of day and temp of the engine. It increases and decreases depending on the RPMs.

It's a 1994 4.0HO Cherokee 2wd w/ 196K miles.

Thanks in advance!
Hey man, about #1. I thought i had the same problem and mine is an 01. Door doesnt look like it shuts all the way and my latch is a little loose. from what i hear this is a typical xj thing. But it was not my issue. i looked all over to figure out where that clunking was coming from when i hit a bump. i finaly realized weeks later that my hitch was just a little loose in my receiver and when i hit a bump it bounced. I felt so dumb. if you have a hitch you may want to check it!

oh but if it is your door you may want to have someone ajust the striker.