Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

fuel smell under load

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 90
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default fuel smell under load

I've been searching the threads to no avail. I've hade a problem that I can't pinpoint, and I have done all the cheap fixes I can think of. I only smell fuel when I'm driving (while there is a load on the engine) and the window is down, when I stop and idle the engine, open the hood, I can't pinpoint where the leak is coming from and lose the smell. There is no tell tail sign of a leak under the hood. I replaced all the rubber hoses from the firewall back to the gas tank (filler, supply, vent). I also replaced the fuel vapor canister and the line that runs along the fire wall to the air filter. the only thing I haven't done is the fuel rail and the injectors. I have never replaced injectors and price is of consequence. A friend at work said I can replace O-rings on the injectors, is that possible? and what do I look for at the auto parts store? I don't think it is the fuel rail, because there is no wet spots or built up dusty spots where fuel would be leaking. Any insight would be helpfull.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:32 PM

Year: 1988

You can replace just the o-rings on your injectors like I did but it is very clear if you have a leaky injector because you can see the leaking fuel. The o-ring kit is onlt $12. Not too sure where else the smell might be coming from.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987

I've had this as well. On mine, it was the injector to manifold leaking (like a fine spray mist). Look at where each injector goes into the intake you might see some spray. On the rail, the o-rings can be loose or damaged. If you jiggle or turn the injector, see if the idle changes. If it does, you can have a leak there. Had my rail off and on quite a few times to try and find these fuel issues. Good o-rings and injectors make a difference. The brown ones go into the manifold and the black are for the rail. I've never had problems at the regulator or the feed end either.

Good luck.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:53 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Check your exhaust manifold for cracks around the collector near the bottom. Extremely common failure. I thought mine was raw fuel too... Technically it is, since the exhaust hasn't hit the cat yet.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1998

Originally Posted by jrh97007
You can replace just the o-rings on your injectors like I did but it is very clear if you have a leaky injector because you can see the leaking fuel. The o-ring kit is onlt $12. Not too sure where else the smell might be coming from.
If you're going to do this--don't forget to pick up some dielectric grease to lube the seals up--makes them a hell of a lot easier to go in. First time around I did not do this and had to force the injectors into the rail and head, and two of them ended up leaking because of it.

Originally Posted by salad
Check your exhaust manifold for cracks around the collector near the bottom. Extremely common failure. I thought mine was raw fuel too... Technically it is, since the exhaust hasn't hit the cat yet.
+1
Old 02-04-2013, 09:03 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 Renix

I would also check your exhaust manifold it can have a very similar smell like you said.. But injectors are tend to leak also with higher miles what year is your jeep ?
Old 02-18-2013, 03:17 PM

Year: 90

Thanks guys. I have a 90, with 140,000 miles