Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

fuel pump question

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 02:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default fuel pump question

one of the metal tubes(line) coming from the in tank sending unit came loose my last journey in the jeep! have not pulled unit out yet, but once the unit is out can the tube be tightened up or jb welded or something or new sending unit needed??? the pump worked great, but tank was leaking from that tube really bad....
Old 08-23-2016, 05:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Depends how it came out, probably. Got pics? If it's a slide-in kind of thing, JB Weld just might get the job done. If it's broken off, fuggedaboudit. Time for new.

What year is your beast? It makes a difference. Since you didn't fill out your profile with info about your Jeep, all we can do is guess, if you don't tell us.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:28 PM

Ok upgraded profile... The tube is not broken but loose(sliding around, jiggling, etc...) and if tank is full enough would be a constant leak. Its not the one going to fuel filter if that makes a difference. Sorry no pics of it, but if it is broken it would be in the tank where broken. I don' see anything visible.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

With no picture it is hard to say what you are up against, but for a loose/leaking small metal filler/return pipe a putty epoxy such as QuikSteel or alternatively JB-Kwik Weld would probably do the trick. I would probably prefer the QuikSteel epoxy putty in this case, because it can be formed around a tube like a grommet and will stop the leak, and will set in place very quickly. The repair would probably last until its time to change your module/fuel pump in the future. Also, I have found that QuikSteel putty is pretty easy to remove from things with a little chisel in the future.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

On Renix the FPR is up on the fuel rail. Fuel circulates in a loop. Is far as I know the return leg isn't under much pressure. Guess your issue is just the fitting anyway.

Fuel is no place to take chances. Yes, something like JB weld or other epoxy's could work, but better for a hole or something. A pipe, (that already broke loose once), you'd be taking a chance that on some hot day it'd start pissen....not good.

I'd hope that maybe a JY has the "assembly" someone took the pump out of. I bet those plates get canned all the time when people change their pump.

I think all the side, mounted, (actually on the front), 87-90 are the same.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:53 PM

Thanks for all the info guys. I did jb weld the damn thing, but only as a temp fix since i'm always in the boonies bouncing around on some trail. Haven't driven her yet, due to now since doing my power steering seals my fluid is like a shaken strawberry soda pop... Just started it up today, didn't know your suppose to bleed the system with engine off!!! oops... Still learning! back when i had my 4x4 dodge my wallet was much fatter, so didn't do much hands on besides the steering wheel... Any suggestions on power steering would be cool??? Thanks again and i do love this website!!!!!