Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Fuel pump issue..

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Inline 6 Cylinder
Default Fuel pump issue..

Hey guys Im new here, so hello. I just finished replacing the fuel pump in my 1994 sport. Now I'm having trouble getting it to start. I can hear the pump coming on intermittenly, probably four out of five times that I turn the ignition to the on position it will engage but there are times when it wont. Any suggestions?
Old 12-11-2008, 12:09 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

Moved this post here so you will get more responses and input.

My only thing would be are you getting fuel pressure at the fuel rail? Also have you check the sending unit/plug with a voltmeter?

Oh and welcome to the site.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:32 PM

Thanks.

From just turning the ignition to "on" I dont get a pressure reading, and cant get it to start in order to take one from Idle.

Do I need to pull the pump back out to test the voltage?
Old 12-11-2008, 05:51 PM

Checked the relay, it's good. Filter is new. My Ignition system is new.

Before swapping pumps my fuel pressure was sitting at 15 PSI and I was pumping way lower than a pint every thirty seconds. It would idle smoothly after about five minutes of starting and dying with a big spike in RPMs. All indicative of a bad pump.

Since putting in the new unit, the engine turns over but doesn't fire. Im getting fuel out the schrader valve in the ON position. My pump comes on for a couple of on/off cycles than wont come on again until I try to start it.

I took the new pump out and stuck it a bucket of gas, hooked it up direct to power, and its pumping. Any help or Ideas?
Old 12-11-2008, 06:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

Sounds like you got the same screw job I got when I replaced my fuel pump. It was bad right out of the box.
Here is a really inexpensive way I figured out to verify a good FP.
Take just the pump itself without any of the mounting bracketry. Acquire yourself a small container to put about a pint of fuel in. Make yourself a set of electrical leads about a foot long that you can hook to your fuel pump and then briefly touch to your battery terminals. + to + and - to - is very important here. Trust me when I say this as it is the voice of experience. Once you hook up that positive lead and then just briefly touch the negative lead, with the inlet of your FP submerged in the container of fuel, gas will SHOOT and I mean shoot out the outlet of the FP, clear across your garage. If this does not happen just like I stated, the FP is bad....Take it back and get another or your money back.
The first FP I had, I tried this test and the FP made all kinds of noise like it was turning on but, no fuel was sucking or blowing. BAD Fuel Pump. The description above is what my second new fuel pump did when I tested it.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

^^ He already said he stuck it in an some fuel and tried it.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:56 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0
Default A word on bench testing submerged fuel pumps ...

I'm no electrical guru but I have replaced probably 6 ,of these kinds of pumps in the last 10 yrs on different vehicles. Every one ran on the bench off of a battery ..... earlier this year my roomate, who is very hard headed and a know it all EE, put a non working pump back in after I had diag'ed it bad. He was indignant with me cuz it ran on the bench .... I just shook my head and thought ... let him learn the hard way. Of course he had to take it back out and re install a new one ... a big pain.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:12 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

It may pump fuel at no load, but needs to generate enough pressure to flow through the system. Pumping in a bucket of fuel is in no way a viable test. It has to pump through the system...and be able to produce enough pressure to spray through the injectors. My guess is that it is a faulty pump OOTB. Take it back and get a good replacement. IMHO, you should buy the best FP you can, this IS one part that can leave you in the middle of BFE, wondering WTF you're gonna do!! Ask me how I know this. HTH!!
Old 12-11-2008, 08:32 PM

I found out what went wrong thanks to buck, haha. The posts on the new pump were unlabeled so I hooked it up exactly the way the original was wired. When I took it off the harness and did the test it made noise but no gas. I thot **** it and switched the positive and neg wires and hey presto I had gas. It was a risk but it paid off. I just got in from my test drive and it's running like a dream. Thanks guys, for your input.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:47 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

this IS one part that can leave you in the middle of BFE

I have been to this place in Egypt. It is not a pleasant place to be without a fuel pump.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:14 AM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

On the top of Tin Cup Pass wondering WTF am I gonna do???? No fun!!