Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Fuel Pump/filter/sensor...which one is bad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 05:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 242 I6
Default Fuel Pump/filter/sensor...which one is bad?

I've had my XJ since fall and have only driven it at least 2 dozen times. Still trying to get to know it. I've completely filled the tank up a few times and very good not letting it get lower than a 1/4 tank as it could be harmful to the filter and later the pump.

Well last Sunday I topped my tank off before leaving the base as I wanted to take advantage of some of that "lower" priced fuel. I drove it a couple times throughout the week and everything was fine! Only major drive was for jury duty last Tuesday, which was ~50 miles one way and ~100 miles for the day itself when I finally made it home. And if I remember correctly, looking at the OHC(not sure how accurate it really is) it said I was getting about 24 MPG on the highway, which seemed pretty well considering I was doing 65-72 MPH.

Well yesterday I started it up and while sitting there letting it warm up, the gas light turned on and received the courtesy ding. Well I was kind of weirded out by the situation, so I took it to the gas station and topped it off with just $25.

Do keep in mind, I do not have major modifications, yet!
-> '98 XJ
-> AX5
-> ~236k miles
-> 15" tires
-> 2" blocks in the rear(came with the XJ)
-> Instrument cluster that does have its moments of going on and off with the "Airbag" light that will pop up.

Appreciate any help and suggestions.

V/r,
-awsgrayrd.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

that would be the sender for fuel level
Old 03-03-2012, 05:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

the issue here is gotta drop the tank might as well replace all pc while your inn there cheaper as a unit and less labor
Old 03-03-2012, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by freegdr
the issue here is gotta drop the tank might as well replace all pc while your inn there cheaper as a unit and less labor
I won't give you time to let the room go quiet, haha! Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. With your suggestion, how much would I be looking at for this project? Would it hurt and to let it be for the time being?

V/r,
-awsgrayrd.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

What did the gas gauge read when you heard the ding? The fuel level situation is not harmful; other parts of the fuel pump assembly are working properly. So if it is a sending unit issue, you could live with it for now if you want.

However, you mention that you are having a problem with intermittent cluster operation. For that issue, most of the time you can disassemble the cluster, clean the electrical connectors with a spray of electrical contact cleaner, (inspect contacts while disconnected), add a dab of dielectric grease and reconnect. If you are having an intermittent electrical cluster problem, it is not impossible that resolving that may fix the other intermittent problem that you describe. I'd certainly start there.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by tjwalker
What did the gas gauge read when you heard the ding? The fuel level situation is not harmful; other parts of the fuel pump assembly are working properly. So if it is a sending unit issue, you could live with it for now if you want.

However, you mention that you are having a problem with intermittent cluster operation. For that issue, most of the time you can disassemble the cluster, clean the electrical connectors with a spray of electrical contact cleaner, (inspect contacts while disconnected), add a dab of dielectric grease and reconnect. If you are having an intermittent electrical cluster problem, it is not impossible that resolving that may fix the other intermittent problem that you describe. I'd certainly start there.
The gas gauge read empty and when I drove it down the road to the gas station and it came back up to 2/3 of a tank, but I topped it off anyways.

Well I added the intermittent operation of the cluster because when it does kill the operation of the gauges and the airbag light turns on, the gas gauge is one of the gauges. If I recall correctly, when this issue happens all of the gauges die...usually some pressure to the cluster will bring it back after the first time, that will last 10 min then it cuts in and out.

V/r,
-awsgrayrd.