Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Fuel odour

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 12:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0
Default Fuel odour

hi

I smell fuel odour inside the jeep, it's stronger when it is hot, need help please
Old 06-18-2016, 01:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

I'm not sure I see a problem here? Gas smells so gooooooooood.
Old 06-19-2016, 10:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

hi

Can you be a little more specific?

1. Do you mean when the weather is hot? or when the Jeep is hot?
2. Do you have substantial rust on the floorpan of your Jeep? Do you have any holes in the floor?
3. Is your exhaust system rusty? In poor repair, or damaged?

For safety reasons, you should thoroughly inspect around your fuel injectors, fuel rail, and where the fuel line connects to determine if any fuel is dripping onto the intake manifold. Or anywhere else. An engine compartment fire would very much ruin your day, and likely ruin your Jeep.

If your Jeep is running poorly and a lot of fuel is ending up in the exhaust, it could be coming back into the cabin in a variety of places. For example, if the seal around the rear hatch is old and worn, exhaust can come back into the vehicle (pretty common with most Suv's that have a hatch in the rear due to the negative air pressure that develops around the rear of a boxy shaped vehicle.

If you have a fuel tank skid plate (a metal protector that covers the fuel tank, sometimes the tank can be rusty or otherwise damaged and allow the fuel to leak down into the skid plate, but if the leak is slow it will just evaporate before dripping out onto the ground. This evaporation is what is most strong to smell, and can come back up through rust holes in the floor pan.

But check the engine compartment first. Be thorough. If you can't get to the bottom of it, then have a shop take a look.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by jordan96xj
hi

Can you be a little more specific?

1. Do you mean when the weather is hot? or when the Jeep is hot?
2. Do you have substantial rust on the floorpan of your Jeep? Do you have any holes in the floor?
3. Is your exhaust system rusty? In poor repair, or damaged?

For safety reasons, you should thoroughly inspect around your fuel injectors, fuel rail, and where the fuel line connects to determine if any fuel is dripping onto the intake manifold. Or anywhere else. An engine compartment fire would very much ruin your day, and likely ruin your Jeep.

If your Jeep is running poorly and a lot of fuel is ending up in the exhaust, it could be coming back into the cabin in a variety of places. For example, if the seal around the rear hatch is old and worn, exhaust can come back into the vehicle (pretty common with most Suv's that have a hatch in the rear due to the negative air pressure that develops around the rear of a boxy shaped vehicle.

If you have a fuel tank skid plate (a metal protector that covers the fuel tank, sometimes the tank can be rusty or otherwise damaged and allow the fuel to leak down into the skid plate, but if the leak is slow it will just evaporate before dripping out onto the ground. This evaporation is what is most strong to smell, and can come back up through rust holes in the floor pan.

But check the engine compartment first. Be thorough. If you can't get to the bottom of it, then have a shop take a look.
Thanks a lot,
I mean when the weather is hot. About the other questions, I can't answer till I take it to a garage, but I think there is a problem in the exhaust system as it looks rusty.
Old 08-20-2016, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by Arab1970
hi

I smell fuel odour inside the jeep, it's stronger when it is hot, need help please
Well, I've got these two things cleaned and now it's so much better. I am telling you in case of anyone may have the same problem.