Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Fuel Leak!! Lost here....plz help.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Fuel Leak!! Lost here....plz help.

Ok I have a 96 XJ. The fuel pump sending unit is leaking. It, as well as the tank, is metal....but only the sending unit is rusted. Little pin hole in the metal tube that the rubber fuel line slips over. Replaced the fuel line thinking it was it and it wasnt. I have called every where. I want to try to find a new one. I guess they dont make them. I am awaiting a call back from mopar. They are looking into it for me. I ordered a "kit" that came with the pump, snap ring, o-ring, a small hose and hose clamps. They told me thats what I needed and its not. The sending unit I guess holds the pump and all. It drops into the tank. But the part thats visible is rusted and the metal line is leaking. I would like to find a new replacement but cant. Any advice? Who here has had this problem?

I tried slipping the rubber fuel line all the way over the metal tube. Worked for a bit...but eventually leaked again. But was not bad. Just a little damp. Evaperated before dripping to the ground.

My big question is if anyone makes this part...the fuel pressure sending unit. I have found used ones....but they are rusty. Dont want to go through this again. I have googled everything. Checked many websites. Searched on here....read through 10 pages. Im lost and I need this jeep running since I just sold me other car....worst possible time. But o well. I have called junk yards for tanks but most of them say that the sending unit was rusted and removed. But the tanks where all fine. Its a bummer but I need this fixed.

Any ideas? or even ideas to seal the leak for short while? At least untill I find what I need. Used or hopefully new. Any help is appreciated. This forum is amazing. Most of the time I search and find what I need. This time not so much the case.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:57 PM

Year: 1992

Sounds like you need the "hanger assembly".
That's what holds the pump itself. I had one go bad in my mustang and had to get a new one to fix the issue. Same thing happened (the tube rusted through one spot and leaked)
Old 06-19-2012, 03:00 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Cheroke...c66603&vxp=mtr

This is a link to a used one. Dont want to buy it but I may. Not sure yet. But as you can see the sending unit is rusted. This is identical to mine. The rubber line slips on the metal line of the sending unit. Mine is rusted and has a pin hole or two right after where the hose stops in the pic. But like I said I tried slidding it over and up against the sending unit. Ran perfect and didnt leak for a few weeks. Leaks now. Want to fix this the right way. Thanks.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:01 PM

Hanger assembly. I will try that. Thanks for the info. Greatly appreciated!! Only reason I keep searching sending unit is that my haynes manual calls it a sending unit. And I have found a million for a grand cherokee. None for my xj.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:11 PM

Havnt found anything on hanger assembly. But will keep looking.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:24 PM

Year: 90

Before spending $88.00
If it were me, I would try cleaning the pipe really well then use JB Weld or a Fuel Tank repair product on the pipe.
Or...
This would be an excellent time to put a check valve in the fuel line which would cause you to mount the hose a bit farther down the pipe stub from the tank. Thus covering the holes and having enough slack to not slip back off the holes.
Now that I know about this rust concern, I'm gonna change my hose to a longer one so it covers most off the pipe.
BTW the check valve is a good idea regardless, much quicker starts.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:41 PM

Right. Thats exactly what I have been told here at the shop I work at. Even brase it. Or whatever. But I may try jb weld or some type of gas tank repair. At least temporary fix. Thanks for the info tgordon.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 I6 HO

i got the same problem on a 95....found a used one near by for 60$....tried the tank patch stuff and it worked for 2 weeks then started to leak again
Old 06-19-2012, 04:37 PM

Well I may have it patched. Found a hose clamp that was super tight on the metal fuel line. It was holding a black wire in place. Removed the clamp. Cleaned really well them slid the rubber hose over the entire metal line then clamped down. Now I assume the wire was a ground. So I grounded it to part of the frame somwhere. Wont start now. Pump wont engage. I need it to engage so I can determine if its leaking still or not. Any ideas?
Old 06-19-2012, 04:39 PM

My guess is it needs to be touching the sending unit some how. Just dont know where. Since the hose is now covering the part that looked like it was leaking from.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:14 PM

It does need to touch the fuel sending unit. I got it figured out and it pressured up a tad and leaked a tiny bit. But I did not have anything in place or set. I just wanted to make sure I could get the pump to work. So thats good. Now waiting for some sealer to dry. Hopefully this works. As long as I can drive it for a week or two, maybe more, ill be happy. Hopefully I can find something to replace it with. Or a more proper way to fix it when I have more time. Right now I just need my XJ to run!!

Last edited by kyledye25; 06-19-2012 at 05:14 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-19-2012, 07:42 PM

Everythings fine. Everything works. No leaks. Hopefully this holds up for a little while.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:44 PM

Oh and I'd anyone has a used but in good same sending unit for a 96 I will take it! Or if you know where to get one...preferably new. But a used one will do. I don't want to worry about it leaking. Thanks.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:27 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 98 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by kyledye25
Oh and I'd anyone has a used but in good same sending unit for a 96 I will take it! Or if you know where to get one...preferably new. But a used one will do. I don't want to worry about it leaking. Thanks.
put in add in wanted section and you might get lucky!
Old 06-20-2012, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by jomps

put in add in wanted section and you might get lucky!
Good idea! I'll do that. Thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel Leak!! Lost here....plz help.