Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Fuel Injector Connector Replacment

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 02:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1989 Limited
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I-6 4.0L AMC Renix
Default Fuel Injector Connector Replacment

(89 XJ 4.0)

I am going to be doing the 746 [edited] injector swap but I started removing the injector connectors and the first one started to break so I stopped before it fully broke. I want to get some replacment injector connectors so if/when I break one or two or all of them I can just splice in new ones and not have to worry about it. Does anybody know where to get them? I looked online and nothing seemed like it would be a 100% match for the stock injectors. Or a part number would be nice. Just would rather have them on hand in case I break those old connectors than be a sitting duck if I do break them and the Jeep becomes Undrivable. (I know the 746 swap is technically Modified but the connectors are stock so that why I'm posting in the Stock section).

Last edited by LiamLikeNeeson; 09-20-2017 at 09:35 PM.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:25 PM

Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Rock Auto has them under Electrical Connectors. Pretty cheap.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...connector,2577
Old 09-16-2017, 04:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999

I broke every single one of mine since they transformed into a cracker like substance. They did plug right back in though
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 09-16-2017, 08:40 PM

Haha well it's good to know it's there just incase. Rockauto just takes a while to ship to me. About a week- week and a half. Maybe I'm just used to amazon prime and I've grown impatient with shipping? Anyhow, what brand is best? ACDelco, Dorman, or Standard motor products?
Old 09-16-2017, 09:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

I never messed with mine yet, but when replacing a connector in most vehicles, all you need to do is remove a plastic retainer. That retainer can be red, blue, yellow or whatever, and may need some force as they usually have a small ridge to help them stay put. Once that retainer is removed, take small pin and release locking tabs inside the connector so the terminal can be removed, and pull the entire terminal out of the rear of the connector. Those locking tabs are often thin and easily broken if your are not careful, but if the connector is junk, no worries. Just dont break them on the new connector. Take the new connector and remove its plastic retainer and push the wires into the connector in the same way as the old, making sure they are going into the proper slot first. You may or may not hear a faint click as the small locking tabs latch onto the terminals. Replace the plastic retainer and you are done. Also, some connectors have a rubber-like seal on the backside that can be, or needs to be, removed as well.

I have done this with many different connectors over the years. This saves the wiring with no need to cut and splice, which is just another link in the chain that can fail.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fb97xj1
I never messed with mine yet, but when replacing a connector in most vehicles, all you need to do is remove a plastic retainer. That retainer can be red, blue, yellow or whatever, and may need some force as they usually have a small ridge to help them stay put. Once that retainer is removed, take small pin and release locking tabs inside the connector so the terminal can be removed, and pull the entire terminal out of the rear of the connector. Those locking tabs are often thin and easily broken if your are not careful, but if the connector is junk, no worries. Just dont break them on the new connector. Take the new connector and remove its plastic retainer and push the wires into the connector in the same way as the old, making sure they are going into the proper slot first. You may or may not hear a faint click as the small locking tabs latch onto the terminals. Replace the plastic retainer and you are done. Also, some connectors have a rubber-like seal on the backside that can be, or needs to be, removed as well.

I have done this with many different connectors over the years. This saves the wiring with no need to cut and splice, which is just another link in the chain that can fail.
Man that's good to know! I was looking into buying a whole new harness
Old 09-17-2017, 04:55 AM

Well damn, that makes it a whole lot less risky. And cheaper I bet! Where can I get just the plastic bits?
Old 09-17-2017, 12:12 PM

Year: 1987

Rock Auto has them for only $5 each with wire pigtail and new clips. Why would you want to mess around with old brittle, dirty connectors when the new ones are so cheap. For $30 bucks and some solder you can basically make a new harness for the injectors. The wires get really weak from the heat and the angle they are kept at. Not worth the effort to resurrect old ones in my opinion.
Attached Images  

Last edited by 67 GMC; 09-17-2017 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LiamLikeNeeson
(89 XJ 4.0)

I am going to be doing the 784 injector swap.
You don't want 784's for an 89, you want 746's.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:34 PM

Oops. I meant to write 746. Why I wrote 784, I have no clue! Lol
Old 07-14-2019, 06:40 PM
.:.

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by fb97xj1

Anyone ever do this with the stock EV6 connector? I found this video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPUqn_AvYMI I can get the middle piece to slide up pretty easily, but there is some kind of little tab I assume holding it from sliding totally off. It definitely doesn't come out as easily as shown in the video. I'm hoping someone can give me a little more information who has done this before so that I can do it without breaking anything. I'm trying to look at the style of molex terminal so I can buy the right style EV6 replacement connectors where I can just slide the existing terminal into the new connector.