Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Fuel guage getting stuck?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Fuel guage getting stuck?

My fuel guage gets stuck at a quarter of a tank and then after driving a while it will drop down to E. Also if i press on the gas from a stop i can watch it move but then it goes back to the original position? Does anybody know how to fix this? I havent seen any write ups.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:15 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by 95black
My fuel guage gets stuck at a quarter of a tank and then after driving a while it will drop down to E. Also if i press on the gas from a stop i can watch it move but then it goes back to the original position? Does anybody know how to fix this? I havent seen any write ups.
I haven't heard of that particular problem but I know many of us experience fuel gauge problems. Sometimes when I startup the gauge pops up and then goes right to E. All I usually have to do is restart the car and it will go to where its supposed to be. I've been looking for an explanation for that, but I guess its something i'll just have to live with.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:34 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996

Open the fuel tank up at the access hole on the tank right behind the rear differential. It uses a locking ring. Get a long flat head screw driver, put it on the tabs on the locking ring and tap it to the left until it pops off. (usually a good idea to disconnect the battery first) pull the pump/ fuel sending unit out. Be careful, the fuel float is the square black piece on the thin metal rod, where the arm attaches is delicate. Where the float arm attaches to the sending unit you will see a semi-circle tan circuit board looking thing, that is the fuel level sensor. Get some rubbing alcohol and clean the filth off of it and the little metal arm on the fuel float arm that touches it. Actuate the arm to it's limits a few times for good measure. Be careful not to knock the fuel pump strainer off (like I did) because that will cause a whole separate set of issues. Put it all back together and see if it works. . If not, you're screwed, probably need a new one. Good luck!

Last edited by CattyXJ; 08-19-2011 at 06:56 AM.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:32 AM

Ok will do, thanks!
Old 08-19-2011, 07:44 AM
Seasoned Member

Ok will do, thanks!
Afterthought: if you have more than a half tank of gas, don't take the cap off. And I'm not mr. safety or anything, but put something on your eyes. I can tell you from experience, gas in the eyes stings a bit. Let me know if it works!
Old 08-19-2011, 07:50 AM

Haha yeah that probly sucked, is there any way to see a picture of this sender unit? I just want to see it befor i go taking it out cus its my DD and i dont wanna get stuck buying a new one..
Old 08-19-2011, 08:22 AM

Here's a link to a DIY about the fuel pump. It shows exactly what CattyXJ was speaking of.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:47 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Myst420
Here's a link to a DIY about the fuel pump. It shows exactly what CattyXJ was speaking of.
That's a good write up! While nothing is idiot proof, the fuel sending unit is attached to the back of the cap. Take it out, clean it up and put it back. So, be careful with all the parts, and pay attention to what you're doing and no worries. This is really like a 10-15 minute job.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Thank you Cattyxj. I've had mine out of my 90 and checked the float a couple times, thinking it was getting stuck or something. (works while out), I'll look at cleaning it next time. Don.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:23 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
Thank you Cattyxj. I've had mine out of my 90 and checked the float a couple times, thinking it was getting stuck or something. (works while out), I'll look at cleaning it next time. Don.
No sweat! Mine wouldn't show it was above an eighth of a tank, which was making me put it $15 every other day. Had to figure this on out on my own bc I didn't know about this awesome forum! People helpin people. Love it.