Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Fuel Delivery Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Fuel Delivery Issue

96 Cherokee Classic 4.0 2WD

Drives fine until fuel gets low (bout 1/4 tank) then sputters out at idle, either sitting still or releasing gas in turns or coasting. Add a few gallons & it clears right up.

Could this be the regulator or maybe the tank needs to be cleaned out & adding the additional fuel increases the fuel to gunk ratio allowing more fuel & less debris into the pump's screen or something else?
Old 01-25-2013, 04:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 HO

get a new fuel filter and never let the tank get below 1/4 tank. you really shouldnt let the tank get that low because then the pump starts to heat up and there is no fuel to cool it down along with it sucking up air when the fuel gets sloshed around.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

This type of issue is going to require dropping the tank for a 96. And if the tank comes down and the fuel pump is original or if unknown history, I'd install an entire fuel pump assembly consisting of pump/regulator/filter.

Bosch is my favorite brand. Carter is okay. I will not install nor will I recommend an Airtex fuel pump.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:38 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001

Originally Posted by tjwalker
This type of issue is going to require dropping the tank for a 96. And if the tank comes down and the fuel pump is original or if unknown history, I'd install an entire fuel pump assembly consisting of pump/regulator/filter.

Bosch is my favorite brand. Carter is okay. I will not install nor will I recommend an Airtex fuel pump.
I had a airtex in mine and lasted 6 months and that was before i read about how crappy that brand is i got a Bosch now

Last edited by jtm01xj; 01-25-2013 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by tjwalker

you dont have to drop the tank. dropping the tank just makes it easier to reinstall the pump
Old 01-25-2013, 08:34 PM

The pump is 2 weeks old & an Airtex. The one before was also 2 weeks old, & an Airtex, when it died. I'd rather not spend another $100 on a Bosch unless absolutely necessary. If it is TRULY believed to be the pump assembly, I'll buy Bosch. I've replaced everything else it could be. I'm down to tank debris, regulator, venting apparatuses, or entire assembly.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:42 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by judbgrdmchn
The pump is 2 weeks old & an Airtex. The one before was also 2 weeks old, & an Airtex, when it died. I'd rather not spend another $100 on a Bosch unless absolutely necessary. If it is TRULY believed to be the pump assembly, I'll buy Bosch. I've replaced everything else it could be. I'm down to tank debris, regulator, venting apparatuses, or entire assembly.
Well i hope you dont buy another airtex its a crap company and Bosch is #1 in fuel pumps
Old 01-25-2013, 08:53 PM

I've only bought 1, the 2nd was free from the warranty.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:59 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998

Do you know for sure you have 1/4 tank left when it acts up? Is it possible the gauge is wrong, and you're really nearly empty?
Old 01-25-2013, 09:00 PM
CF Veteran

I've only bought 1, the 2nd was free from the warranty.
I bought my airtex pump from ebay and only paid 25$ with free shipping and it was the worst pump ive ever installed
Old 01-25-2013, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by belvedere
Do you know for sure you have 1/4 tank left when it acts up? Is it possible the gauge is wrong, and you're really nearly empty?
I'm sure. It only sputters out when at idle or coasting. With the pedal depressed it runs fine.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:15 PM

Amazing, those who cannot see the forest because trees get in the way.

You get what you pay for, and one who buys and installs CRAP in their jeep, deserves the misery. Nothing but OEM parts ever go into my '01 Sport, regardless of cost. And for 13 years, it has run like brand-new, day in, day out. Food for thought...
Old 01-25-2013, 09:19 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Jesse Hallum

Amazing, those who cannot see the forest because trees get in the way.

You get what you pay for, and one who buys and installs CRAP in their jeep, deserves the misery. Nothing but OEM parts ever go into my '01 Sport, regardless of cost. And for 13 years, it has run like brand-new, day in, day out. Food for thought...
Yea but not everyone has deep pockets to buy oem parts and a pump is over 400$ at most dealers and who are you to judge people on what they buy just because you do

Last edited by jtm01xj; 01-25-2013 at 09:31 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:28 PM

Year: 1998

I don't think I have ever replaced a fuel pump with out dropping and flushing the tank before reassembly. No wait,,there was a dodge truck one time,,
And I don't let my vehicles get below a 1/2 tank, especially in the winter months.
Buy the Bosch pump, as others have suggested and clean the tank before reassembly, you'll not have to worry about "gunk to fuel ratios" any more.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:38 PM

And not everyone is convinced that it's the pump & not that the pump is being affected by something else. That's why I'm here, trying to make sure what the problem is before I go dumping money into it.

The store I bought the Airtex from doesn't offer Bosch so I had no idea there was a difference in quality. Especially since I now see that the Airtex was $70 & the Bosch is $88. Not much difference. Not like a $25/$88 difference. I ALWAYS go for the higher quality parts...when available. What I don't do is call around to every store & ask what brands they carry. The average person has no idea what brands are better than others unless they can compare products at the same time.

Airtex is OEM equivalent, same as Bosch.

Last edited by judbgrdmchn; 01-25-2013 at 11:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Fuel Delivery Issue