Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Front Window Leak??

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 04:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Front Window Leak??

I have my jeep gutted while patching the floorboard and soon to be installing new carpet...i noticed after a hard rain last night that there is water on the passenger side. The jeep is not driven daily and the a/c is disconnected so I know it has nothing to do with that. It almost seems as if the water is coming down the firewall and into the floorboard. Is there a common leak on the windows on these xj's?
Old 12-25-2010, 04:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

ther was a post about this a whle back try searching in the forum search box
Old 12-25-2010, 04:40 PM
Seasoned Member

I did try that...the search engine on here doesnt seem to be that specific, but rather pulls any thread that has the words I type in it
Old 12-25-2010, 04:44 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Screwd up 6
I did try that...the search engine on here doesnt seem to be that specific, but rather pulls any thread that has the words I type in it
its ther you gotta do qa lot of readingit had some thing to do with dash board nut on firewall being loose i think
Old 12-25-2010, 04:55 PM
CF Veteran

remove the cowl and check with garden hose around gasket for front window
Old 12-25-2010, 05:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Thanks. I will continue to search for the thread and the leak on the jeep. Just wanted to get this problem solved before I dump new carpet back in there.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999

I've had some issues and haven't resolved it yet. There are supposed to be drains under the wiper cowl and those get clogged, the area under the cowl fills with water, then seeps in by the heater housing. Mine does that a little there. Some have said they put silicone around it or took it out completely and sealed it.

I have water coming in on both sides, though and it's coming out near the seat, so I'm thinking roof rack holes.

HTH, I've got some more investigating to do.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:05 PM
Seasoned Member

would the roof rack actually put water under the seat?? I plan to make my jeep my daily driver in the next few weeks so Im trying to fix all the stupid lil problems it has right now.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 HO

After buying my 91 I found out (the hard way) that it had bad water leak. The carpet on the pass. side was getting soaked when it rained, even while parked. I also noticed the front of the headlinner was wet too. The water leak was comming from the seal around the windshield at the top on the right side. Windshield seal leaks (and rust around the windshield) seems to be a problem with the XJ, due to the windshield channel filling up with mud, leaves and dirt which hold mosture.

Dennis
Old 12-25-2010, 09:22 PM
MJ>XJ

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0 I6

theres like 50 KNOWN points the cherokee leaks from to the pass floor... everyones different so you need to take water hose t yours and spray peticular parts... hood hindge location... antenna hole in the fender... windshield... cowl... blower...
Old 12-25-2010, 10:51 PM

Year: 1997

Originally Posted by zr2toxj
I've had some issues and haven't resolved it yet. There are supposed to be drains under the wiper cowl and those get clogged, the area under the cowl fills with water, then seeps in by the heater housing. Mine does that a little there. Some have said they put silicone around it or took it out completely and sealed it.

I have water coming in on both sides, though and it's coming out near the seat, so I'm thinking roof rack holes.

HTH, I've got some more investigating to do.
Im an auto glass technician and we get many calls because people think that the leak comes from the windshield. when ever there is a leak in front of the driver and passenger seats, 99.9% of the time is because the drains are plugged. When the drains get clogged, there is no were for the water to go so it just over laps the body and goes under your passenger seat. Above statement is absolutly correct and that is what your problem is. It is a very common issue. we get many calls to go and fix it but ive never been called for a cherokee, so just take off the cowl and look for the drains. then take something skinny and poke it through or if you can, just clean it out with your hands. its all the leaves and dirt that cloggs the drains.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by PersianNutze91
Im an auto glass technician and we get many calls because people think that the leak comes from the windshield. when ever there is a leak in front of the driver and passenger seats, 99.9% of the time is because the drains are plugged. When the drains get clogged, there is no were for the water to go so it just over laps the body and goes under your passenger seat. Above statement is absolutly correct and that is what your problem is. It is a very common issue. we get many calls to go and fix it but ive never been called for a cherokee, so just take off the cowl and look for the drains. then take something skinny and poke it through or if you can, just clean it out with your hands. its all the leaves and dirt that cloggs the drains.
Above it says "there is no where for the water to go so it just over laps the body" What exactly do you mean by that,you lost me?

Also I don't remember ever seeing drains around the windshield channel of an XJ.

Dennis
Old 12-26-2010, 11:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by AMXJ
Above it says "there is no where for the water to go so it just over laps the body" What exactly do you mean by that,you lost me?

Also I don't remember ever seeing drains around the windshield channel of an XJ.

Dennis
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
so just take off the cowl and look for the drains. then take something skinny and poke it through or if you can, just clean it out with your hands. its all the leaves and dirt that cloggs the drains.

To remove the cowl remove the wiper arms, then the screws, & have a look.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:30 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0 i six H.O.

ive took mine off,thinking it was clogged up and all i could see was the wipermotor on drivers side and nothing else on the passenger side,just something thats part of the top under the cowl i guess. it looks like it just slopes down into the fender, no visable holes.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:17 AM
MJ>XJ

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0 I6

I'm not sure of any wholes visible either but there are body seal points in there and when the seal wears out its bad news... lol... from what I've read its major work to get to them... entire dash comes out... everything on the fire wall comes off... not fun...

Quick Reply: Front Window Leak??