Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

front seat swapping questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 08:38 PM
awg
CF Veteran

Received 614 Likes on 522 Posts
Year: 96
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default front seat swapping questions

Is it possible to swap over the cushions/padded backrest from a passenger seat to a drivers seat?

The reason I ask is mine (and almost all old vehicles) have much more wear on Drivers seat...if you have leather, like mine, one possible way to get around this issue would be to find
a wreck with matching seats, grab both, but especially the PS seat, and cobble that together to make a good DS seat... given the controls are on opposite sides

if there is a better solution, such as a seat leather kit (for RH seat only), or anyone has had one re-done by a auto upholsterer, price & availability would be interesting

the cushions themselves, as well as the leather cover, would be beneficial to renew
Old 09-21-2018, 09:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 485 Likes on 416 Posts
Year: 1986
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Yes, they just unbolt from the seat frame
Old 09-22-2018, 12:43 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Due to the bases, they don't generally bolt to the opposite side though. Unless you want to remove the upholstery and swap that, it won't work. The base pans are different. BTW, I have an XJ driver's seat in my WJ. I've been there.
Old 09-22-2018, 03:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,175 Posts
Year: 2000

Originally Posted by awg
Is it possible to swap over the cushions/padded backrest from a passenger seat to a drivers seat?

The reason I ask is mine (and almost all old vehicles) have much more wear on Drivers seat...if you have leather, like mine, one possible way to get around this issue would be to find
a wreck with matching seats, grab both, but especially the PS seat, and cobble that together to make a good DS seat... given the controls are on opposite sides

if there is a better solution, such as a seat leather kit (for RH seat only), or anyone has had one re-done by a auto upholsterer, price & availability would be interesting

the cushions themselves, as well as the leather cover, would be beneficial to renew
I am not sure I understand your question. But I believe I have done what you are trying to do.

For starters the upright part, what supports your back, are interchangeable. They are the same part number. Just remove the cover (not the foam just the cover), not hard but a little tricky, and swap them. You can not swap over the whole upright part.
Where it gets interesting is the bottom. For starters if you look at your seat you will see carpet/cloth against the console and pleather/vinyl on the outside. So there is that. Also mounting points on how the seat cover, and if foam in this instance, mount to the frame are different from side to side. The reason I swapped the seat cover and foam was to not have to take off the hog rings which secure the cover to the foam. I felt it was easier this way. Because the mounting points are different I used zip ties. Also you have to cut a slit in the seat so part of the frame can come up through so the back can be reattached. Now when I did this I knew I was using seat covers on top of that. So they hide the fact that the fabric/carpet and pleather/vinyl are on the wrong sides. What I did not realize was that part of the factory seat is poking out the back from under the seat cover and has some holes in it for mounting the back to the bottom that can be seen when looking in from my passenger side rear door. Go here to see some pictures of the mounting points that are different on each side.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/po...9/#post3515664

Here is a picture of what you can see from my back door poking out of the seat cover. Also here is the finished product. See the black tab that I circled. That is where I cut a slit for that to come through. I probably have more pictures of what I did and would be more then happy to give more details if you need them. Just be aware that they would be from memory and mine is not what it used to be.

Old 09-22-2018, 04:19 AM
CF Veteran

Oh and if you go with seat covers I highly recommend the Coverkings. They are not cheap though. Front and back cost me $320. And that was on sale and with a promo code. I used the Rhinohide ones. Please be aware that I put those leather removable headrest seats in my Jeep. Came with one piece cloth buckets. I scored two sets in so so condition. Turned a passenger into a driver. Had them all apart, cleaned them up best I could, and put the seat covers on with them still apart and out of the Jeep. I think I was able to get them on better cause of that.

Last edited by Ralph77; 09-22-2018 at 04:59 AM.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:30 AM
awg
CF Veteran

Received 614 Likes on 522 Posts
Year: 96
Engine: 4.0

thx, pics & info were very useful, just trying to overcome the problem of worn leather/sagging cushion on DS the cheapest & easiest way possible
Old 09-23-2018, 05:40 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by awg
thx, pics & info were very useful, just trying to overcome the problem of worn leather/sagging cushion on DS the cheapest & easiest way possible
I was fortunate enough to score two sets of those seats in so so condition. As you pointed out the passenger side generally takes less of a beating. I have an upholstery guy but never consulted him on this. For starters figured it would be through the roof cost wise. Then if I spent all that money would have to protect my investment which meant seat covers. So figured why bother. Do it this way and still buy the seat covers. It is a Jeep and not some rare classic car.