Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Front locker

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Front locker

Hey guys I am new to your threads.

I just got my hands on an 2001 XJ. I got rid of my wrangler and I love my cherokee.

My question is I am going a little mild. I put 3.5" lift rubicon express and running 31s. The cherokee has a stock limited slip in the rear. I am thinking about putting a powertrax no-slip in the front. Do any of you have experience with powertrax and how the vehicle will handle on snowy roads?

The cherokee does great in the snow with the limited slip in the rear. The only time I need 4 wheel drive is off road or slow speeds in the snow.

I just don't want to make the cherokee dangerous in the snow because the wife drives it.

thanks
Tony
Old 01-01-2010, 04:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 H.O. K&N, Borla headers, custom down pipe, magnaflow hi-flo cat, flowmaster to turn down tip

your best bet for the snow is a limited slip up front. i have a Detroit Tru-trac gear actuated front limited slip which means no clutches inside and not re-build needed unless it breaks! works great in the mud and snow
Old 01-01-2010, 04:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

I would agree with above. If your wife will be driving it, especially on snowy and icey roads, I would go with a LSD or a Tru-Trac up front. Better yet, if you're sold on putting in a front traction aiding diff., I would spend the extra cash and put in a selectable locker. That way you get the full ease of driving and control of an open diff. up front until you actually need the locker. Then it's a simple flip of a switch or pull of a lever depending on which kind of selectable locker you get. The rig basically drives like the locker isn't even there until you need it. That would keep things safe for the wife. ARB Air Locker, Auburn ECTED Electric Locker and OX Lever Activated are among the most well known. They are all made for the front D30 in your XJ, too.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help. I am going to save up a little more and go with both lockers front and rear.

I do have another question.

With lockers should I think about upgrading the stock axles. Going with Alloy axles? if I am going to be tearing the axles down might as well rebuild them while I am in there.

31 are the largest i will put on the vehicle.

thanks