Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Front grinding noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 09:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Front grinding noise

I just dropped the trans and put a new flexplate in my Jeep. Now instaed of the flexplate noise there is a strange grinding noise coming from the front or middle. The grinding noise happens at idle both in and out of gear and then at its worst when I start off in forward or reverse esp if the wheels are turned. To try and narrow it down by taking the front drive shaft is out. No change. I thought it was stuck in 4wd...guess not. The output on the transfer case does move without the driveshaft on in 2wd but I can stop it with my hand. I can feel it in the drivers floor pan but, hard to say if it can be felt from anywhere else, as I can only drive from one place.
I also removed the wheels and made sure one or both calipers weren't hanging up...wasn't that. Should have known bc it does it at idle in Park.
This Jeep has a new engine, new flexplate.
Is it possible the hubs are half engaged? Partially stuck in 4wd?
This problem wasn't there before I changed the flexplate and the flexplate noise would not have drowned this one out.
I would appreciate any help anyone has.
Thank You.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:43 PM

Year: 1996

Well if the problem wasn't there before the fix, and it is there after, I would look at the stuff you touched during the fix, and then worry about other things after you double check your work. Not very likely a random problem pops up with something unrelated to your work, so start there.

Make sure all your bolts are torqued correct, nothing is installed backwards, etc. then look at unrelated options. I know someone will know much more than what I have to say here, but it is a good start for now.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:56 PM

I already went through and checked everything. None of that worked.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey, I know this is an old post, but I'm experiencing a similar issue. Did you end up finding the problem? what was the fix? thank you.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:50 PM

It turned out to be the exhaust pipe hitting the crossmember. After doing all that work, the rear exhaust hanger came undone and caused the pipe to sag. I am still getting a different grinding noise on hard right turns and have yet to figure that one out. The jeep drives fine so, I decided to leave it for now.