Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Front end hardware?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 09:13 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 96 Likes on 73 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Front end hardware?

Hey all,

I have a 1996 Jeep XJ and need to know where to get the front end hardware from? I've searched and searched and can't figure out what exactly I need.
Headlight bezels, turn signals, and side markers don't seem to have a tight fit. My side markers keep popping out when I drive my Jeep. Any idea what screws, washers, and nuts I may need?

Please don't say the junkyard. The junkyard near me doesn't usually have any XJs. If they do, they are the newer body style 97+.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Much of the stuff on the 96 and prior years has screws that run directly into threaded plastic on those pieces. Your options are likely - Hit the hardware store and buy the next size up screws or Macguyver some kind of tighter fastening or buy new pieces from Quadratec/Amazon. The hardware store will have a variety of common size fastening mechanisms, clips, etc, probably in the plastic trays in the "bag your own" section.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Default .

Originally Posted by PatHenry
Much of the stuff on the 96 and prior years has screws that run directly into threaded plastic on those pieces. Your options are likely - Hit the hardware store and buy the next size up screws or Macguyver some kind of tighter fastening or buy new pieces from Quadratec/Amazon. The hardware store will have a variety of common size fastening mechanisms, clips, etc, probably in the plastic trays in the "bag your own" section.
I bought a brand new headlight bezel and it's definitely NOT threaded plastic. What now? Can anyone help me figure out how this is secured please?
Old 07-16-2019, 09:01 PM
CF Veteran

If your new bezel is like mine was, you'll see exactly what I mean when you go to attach the sidemarker... not only threading into the plastic, but you'll be cutting those threads yourself.

Ok, so as I recall, there are two screws that attach the bezel to the fender - those may be welded nuts, or a backing piece.. on the side I was doing, they were holes. I used very long thin bolts with a tiny nut and washer on the inside of the fender (lots of "feel" more than looking). There is another screw on the inside. This was attached to a fiberglass piece that the P.O. had put a big screw right into the fiberglass.. not optimal, but it has held up.
I have no idea on the bottom, there was no bumper on mine save for a welded bar of steel... I just tightened the grill trim to the bezel with a bolt and on the other side I used a butterfly type thing that I hooked behind a sturdy piece of fiberglass.. it doesn't move seems fine..

You have to wonder why your trim pieces are loose - is it missing female connecting bits.. are they wallowed out, did a mounting point break, etc. and see what the best solution is.

If you want OEM, you may find replacements in the "Help!" stuff by Dorman at the parts store, in the "auto trim fasteners" at a good hardware store (the larger Ace one town over has more than the one down the street for me) or at the junkyard.

The best way to find the original hardware style is via "the other side" on your own Jeep, or the junkyard or the parts catalog. I can send you it if you PM me.
The following users liked this post:
vroomvroom (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 07:44 AM
Seasoned Member

Default .

Originally Posted by PatHenry
If your new bezel is like mine was, you'll see exactly what I mean when you go to attach the sidemarker... not only threading into the plastic, but you'll be cutting those threads yourself.

Ok, so as I recall, there are two screws that attach the bezel to the fender - those may be welded nuts, or a backing piece.. on the side I was doing, they were holes. I used very long thin bolts with a tiny nut and washer on the inside of the fender (lots of "feel" more than looking). There is another screw on the inside. This was attached to a fiberglass piece that the P.O. had put a big screw right into the fiberglass.. not optimal, but it has held up.
I have no idea on the bottom, there was no bumper on mine save for a welded bar of steel... I just tightened the grill trim to the bezel with a bolt and on the other side I used a butterfly type thing that I hooked behind a sturdy piece of fiberglass.. it doesn't move seems fine..

You have to wonder why your trim pieces are loose - is it missing female connecting bits.. are they wallowed out, did a mounting point break, etc. and see what the best solution is.

If you want OEM, you may find replacements in the "Help!" stuff by Dorman at the parts store, in the "auto trim fasteners" at a good hardware store (the larger Ace one town over has more than the one down the street for me) or at the junkyard.

The best way to find the original hardware style is via "the other side" on your own Jeep, or the junkyard or the parts catalog. I can send you it if you PM me.
Thank you for a detailed explanation! I couldn't find much information on this topic. This was informative and a great starting point for me. I appreciate it!
Old 07-17-2019, 12:57 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by vroomvroom
Thank you for a detailed explanation! I couldn't find much information on this topic. This was informative and a great starting point for me. I appreciate it!
No problem - body and trim stuff can be a pain in the butt. Let us know how everything turns out!
Old 07-17-2019, 04:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 303 Likes on 252 Posts
Engine: 4.0

If it is just the hardware you need, team Cherokee sells a lot of the oem screws and bolts.
Old 07-19-2019, 05:19 PM
awg
CF Veteran

Received 613 Likes on 521 Posts
Year: 96
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by vroomvroom
Hey all,

I have a 1996 Jeep XJ and need to know where to get the front end hardware from? I've searched and searched and can't figure out what exactly I need.
Headlight bezels, turn signals, and side markers don't seem to have a tight fit. My side markers keep popping out when I drive my Jeep. Any idea what screws, washers, and nuts I may need?

Please don't say the junkyard. The junkyard near me doesn't usually have any XJs. If they do, they are the newer body style 97+.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Ok..I wont say junkyard...but the best place is to personally get the bits you want is off a wreck..or off someone on the list who will mail them to you from a vehicle they are wrecking.

Once you know what you have, replace them with stainless