Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Front Drive Axle - Is there a seal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Front Drive Axle - Is there a seal?

Hey all -

Just replaced my front drive axle u-joint over the weekend. Quite the job, but got it done successfully and it did fix the problem so I'm happy about that. The one question I had was about seals. The outer end of the axle is pretty rusty:

Is this normal? Is there supposed to be a seal at the outer edge of the axle tube, or just the gear oil seal way back in the tube?

Thanks all.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:21 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Just way back in the tube.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L 6 CYL

From the factory there is just the seal all the way down the tube but there a a couple companies that do make axle tube seals that go on the outer end of the tube. Alloy usa is one a search on google can get you a couple places to shop i am sure.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Just way back in the tube.
Thanks. How important do you think that little plastic piece is? Mine broke off, but I figure it can't be much but a splash guard so I was going to just leave it off.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by MUDRUNNER AZ
From the factory there is just the seal all the way down the tube but there a a couple companies that do make axle tube seals that go on the outer end of the tube. Alloy usa is one a search on google can get you a couple places to shop i am sure.
Ok, I don't do a lot of wheeling and most of what I do is in the mountains. However, I occasionally hit up the beach too (OBX woo!) Think it's worth getting one of those outer seals or is it probably ok as is?
Old 11-14-2011, 01:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

close to the ring and pinion end of the tube
Old 11-14-2011, 01:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by eorose
Ok, I don't do a lot of wheeling and most of what I do is in the mountains. However, I occasionally hit up the beach too (OBX woo!) Think it's worth getting one of those outer seals or is it probably ok as is?
axle looks a little rusty to even seal with one of those just replace the factory pc prob least expensive
Old 11-14-2011, 01:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.oh

I dont run the plastic pieces, they are laying on a trail somewhere. Ive never had a problem without them and my truck sees all kinds types of terrain, mud, water, rocks. Honestly I wouldnt worry about it.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by freegdr
axle looks a little rusty to even seal with one of those just replace the factory pc prob least expensive
Yeah, good point about the seal. Even the little plastic piece wouldn't fit back on properly, so getting a new one probably wouldn't work anyway.

Originally Posted by Byro
I dont run the plastic pieces, they are laying on a trail somewhere. Ive never had a problem without them and my truck sees all kinds types of terrain, mud, water, rocks. Honestly I wouldnt worry about it.
They Byro, yeah that's what I think I will do.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:42 AM

Hey all, revisiting this post because I've come across a new problem. The inner oil seal seems to be leaking - I've got gear oil coming out of the axle tube. I figured I had bumped the oil seal out of place, but when I pulled everything off again I looked in and the oil seal looked fine visually. Not crooked or anything. I guess I just need to replace that seal, but does anyone have and idea about why this would have happened?
Old 11-21-2011, 09:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L

Originally Posted by eorose
Hey all, revisiting this post because I've come across a new problem. The inner oil seal seems to be leaking - I've got gear oil coming out of the axle tube. I figured I had bumped the oil seal out of place, but when I pulled everything off again I looked in and the oil seal looked fine visually. Not crooked or anything. I guess I just need to replace that seal, but does anyone have and idea about why this would have happened?
alot of times when you pull an axle shaft, especially one with some miles on it, it will leak when you replace it so its generally a good idea to replace the seal unless you know it has low miles
Old 11-21-2011, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by E-Rok
alot of times when you pull an axle shaft, especially one with some miles on it, it will leak when you replace it so its generally a good idea to replace the seal unless you know it has low miles
OK, thanks. Wish someone had told me that before, everything I read seemed to say it could just be pulled out and put back in again, no mention of changing the seal. :/ Does anyone have a write-up of this? I'm gonna search the forums but if someone knows where to find it that'd be great.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:49 PM

MOAR UPDATES!

So since el jeepo has been on blocks the past 2 weeks, I decided I just wanted to drive it so I took it to my trusty mechanic to have a look-see and give me an estimate on replacing the seal. Figured if it was just a couple hundred bucks I would just have him get it over with. Well, he took a look and found.....

(wait for it)

NOTHING.

Completely dry. So the only thing I can figure is that when I pulled the axle to look at the seal and reinstalled, it must have re-seated itself in the seal correctly. Bizarre, and doesn't make sense, but there it is. So I'm just going to watch it for a couple weeks and if it comes back he says he'll replace it for $100.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:48 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

The leakage could have been from lubricant leaking out while the shaft was removed. Have you topped off the gear lube since the axle removal?
Old 11-22-2011, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by cruiser54
The leakage could have been from lubricant leaking out while the shaft was removed. Have you topped off the gear lube since the axle removal?

A fair point, and no, I have not topped it off. Mechanic said he would do that tomorrow. Just seems like a LOT for me to not have noticed when I was reinstalling the first time. It was PUDDLED in the steering knuckle. I know it still has oil in it though because I checked before driving it to my mechanic. Just in case you think I'm insane.