Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Front Diff locked up

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Front Diff locked up

Hi guys

I have this $500 88 4.0 Cherokee that i got a little while ago, it was running super rich, i fixed the MAP sensor and got it running right, did some other work, thought it was fine but I was driving in traffic, came to a stop then the front axle locked up completely. It wouldn't move in neutral, only in reverse which was weird. Got it towed to my friend's shop and looked at it and pulled the front driveshaft. For some reason (i know, stupid) I thought that would fix it...I was wrong.

So I went for a test drive and everything sounded normal until i took it up to about 30mph. Suddenly knocking comes strong, i slow down a bit and the front axle completely locks. Almost went through the windshield lol...

So I coaxed it back to the shop in idle and made it but I'm wondering what to do now. I looked at the front diff outer pinion bearings and oil seal (sorry, not sure what the right word is. Where the driveshaft meets the diff). They were totally shot and basically falling off. I'm assuming I lost all my diff oil and I was wondering if it was a hard job to replace the rear seal thing. i have a bearing/seal puller set and a full shop to work in. Also, do you think the front diff needs replacing? It's a Dana 30.

Sorry for the novel, Thanks for help in advance.

TL;DR: I messed up my front diff, how hard is it to replace the front outer pinion bearing set?
Old 02-08-2012, 04:53 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Get a whole front diff from a JY.