Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Front Brakes- pulling

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Front Brakes- pulling

Guys, Ive done some searching but was unsuccesfull. Is there any common problems with the jeeps front brakes that i should look for here is my problem.

Just had the brakes replaced in june, and my front left brake is already grinding (this is really wierd for me since i drive so light brakes usually last years for me). Also i am not sure if it is related but, when i pull right into a parking spot my left tire squeels like a am racing around. Also, when i have to emergency stop my jeep wants to dive to the left. I am thinking i have a stuck caliper, but does any one else have suggestions? Thanks!
Old 11-10-2010, 02:34 PM

Also, when i am coming to a stop on the white line my left tire will squeel like i have slammed on my brakes. Like i said before i am assuming that means all the power is going to the drives side which means my passenger side caliper may be locked up?
Old 11-10-2010, 02:45 PM

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0L (Renix)

tires squeeling are either bald or just the right speed at the right force...have you had your tires inspected and rotated? very cheap and does wonders on the longevity of the tires life.

brakes pulling is either a sticking brake pad (if they're new) or they are uneven because they were not put on right. if the pad is sticking it will also cause the brake to be very sensative and act as if you slammed on the pedal even if you didnt.

brakes squeeking is typical if you didnt pay for higher grade pads because of the metal content in them. the lower the cost, the higher the amount of metal content and thus more squeekin during their life. Especially at the beginning and end of their life. Your brakes however should NOT be anywhere near the end of their life.

most of the time, if you bought them fairly recently, there is a lifetime warranty on the parts themselves, minus the pads (even sometimes pads). Take it back to where it was done. They will inspect for FREE and most likely will have to fix the problem for free since brakes last for a long time if done correctly. Pull off your tire and inspect the pads. see if there is anything stuck in there, if the rotor is scratched, or anything that looks obvious causing issues.

After i get new brakes for a few days Ill go on an open road near my house about 90 and brake hard a few times to forcet he pads into a wear pattern, or hold the brakes down about half and go about 30mph. Sounds stupid but i can tell if any of them stick or pull. After that, i never have issues unless i do a lot of mudding or puddles, which is not on my agenda anymore after recent events

Last edited by dham99; 11-10-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:18 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Sometimes, the rubber hoses can swell up and cause the brakes to stick. If everything else was replaced and it still did it, I'd try to replace the rubber hose next.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:57 PM

Year: 90

my 90XJ is doing all of the exact same thing yours is doing and i mean everything. I was told that the pull is from the brake lines.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 5.2

I would say if the caliper isn't leaking, replace the rubber hoses. It i will fix the prob.

Despite what everyone says.... I have never seen a caliper "lock up" unless it is one of the white metal aluminum ones that were popular with gm's. Most "locked up" brakes are caused by hoses.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:10 AM

dham99-

Thanks for your response, i usually do my own brakes but because i didnt have the time to do them i had my uncle (who owns a reputable front end shop) do them for me, he was doing an alignment anyway So no big deal. I will definately check to see if they are sticking. Also, my tires are brand new and i just rotated them last month i probably need to double check the pressure since it is getting colder out but they look fine.

2Evil4U, kcenderjim & tiwvr1

So if all of my power is going to my drivers side, i would assume that the passenger side hose may be bad? I should probably just replace both of them right?

Thanks again guys ill let you guys know what i find!
Old 11-11-2010, 08:21 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

I'd say that if anything, the problem is on the side that is sticking, so the left is the most likely suspect. The hoses should be pretty cheap, so if that is your tack, I'd replace both to be certain that the other one isn't getting ready to do the same thing.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by tiwvr1
I would say if the caliper isn't leaking, replace the rubber hoses. It i will fix the prob.

Despite what everyone says.... I have never seen a caliper "lock up" unless it is one of the white metal aluminum ones that were popular with gm's. Most "locked up" brakes are caused by hoses.
I was riding with my buddy in his YJ when his caliper started to lock up, it feels like the brake is always applied and pulls to that side. We were not far from home and made an effort to not stop so we wouldnt be stuck by the stupid brake locking up. We pull in, get out and look behind the wheel, then bam the brake catches on fire
Old 11-11-2010, 12:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

replace both front brake lins and calipers and pads brakes are something you dont play with you do one side you do the other like buying shoes you dont buy just one you buy the pair
Old 11-11-2010, 12:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99

[QUOTE= After i get new brakes for a few days Ill go on an open road near my house about 90 and brake hard a few times to forcet he pads into a wear pattern, or hold the brakes down about half and go about 30mph. Sounds stupid but i can tell if any of them stick or pull. After that, i never have issues unless i do a lot of mudding or puddles, which is not on my agenda anymore after recent events[/QUOTE]

what recent event???
Old 01-19-2011, 01:51 PM

Just to update
Replacing my brake lines fixed the problem.