Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Front axles swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 01:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Front axles swap

Okay here I am again seeking advice from people who know a lot more about the XJ than I do. My 90 Cherokee's right front axle u-joint is shot. I found one from a 99. It still has the ring for the speed sensor on it also. Just wondering if it will still fit in my Dana 35 front end. I know I could figure this out for myself but from all the feedback I get from all of you, it seems best to get some input on the question I am asking.

PS. I feel in love with this site since I signed up! Soon I'll have to post pictures of my XJob all the way from here in AK!
Old 11-20-2016, 05:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You have a dana 30 not dana 35 btw,And the speed sensor you call it is probably a abs ring.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Engine: 4.0

By right front I assume you mean the passenger front? Your 90 has the Central Axle Disconnect (CAD) factory. Assuming your axle is still original, the passenger front axle shaft is two pieces with a collar that is vacuum actuated to lock the axle together when 4WD is engaged. The idea was to reduce rolling mass when in 2WD to improve mileage. The idea proved more trouble than it was worth and was scrapped in later years.

The 99 axle shafts will have bigger u joints. It is a common swap to put the later model axle shafts in the older ones to delete the CAD and upgrade to larger u joints. The ABS rings shouldn't interfere with anything on your 90. I would suggest you grab both axle shafts from the 99 and put them in your 90. Do a search on the swap, as you have to move the axle seal on the passenger side.
Old 11-20-2016, 08:57 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Bolt it in and go.