Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

front axle assembly woes--HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default front axle assembly woes--HELP!

Haven't posted much here, but am a regular reader and owner of 2 cherokees. I have a 99 (which I posted about last fall) with a blown front end. We're 99% sure its something in the front differential but it hasn't been torn apart yet. Needless to say, its not drivable as the front wheels are locked up. The Jeep has 70,000 miles on it and the body/interior are mint. It was a daily driver, never wrecked, and never off-roaded to my knowledge. It drove like a dream for the first month I had it, until the front diff apparently ate itself one day at highway speed. It sat over this winter, but was started regularly, and fired up first time every time. I finally got it to a local and reputable mechanic last week only to find out that it now wont start either. The starter was tested by two different places, it tests good. Tried two different batteries, both are good. Still doesn't start. All lights and accessories come on, but it doesn't crank or start. Nothing. This local reputable shop was gonna do the front, but said they didn't want to tackle it until it was starting/running. They're a former Pontiac dealer and said they don't have test equipment to narrow down no-start issue. So although I was reluctant, I had it towed to the dealership yesterday.

The dealership tells me they don't want to tackle the no-start until the front end is fixed. They don't want to have to dolly it in and out of the shop 2 or 3 times, and want to get it rolling freely before fixing the electrical issue. OK, fine, makes sense. The dealer mechanic tells me the easiest, most complete, and cost effective way to fix the front end is to put a whole new front axle assembly in it. It would be a Jasper, new front diff, housing, ball joints, axel tubes, etc. Not sure if breaks are included or not, but he said the axel shafts themselves do not come with it. They want $2000 for the part. 3 year/100,000 mile warranty blah blah blah. So Im looking at close to $3000 with labor, and the electrical issue still hasn't been solved. I paid $4000 for the Jeep.

He said he could try to rebuild it, but I'd end up paying almost the same in labor cost, plus if he gets into it and finds that the housing is cracked, its gonna need a new everything anyway and I'd be out more money. He said part of the differential is permanently attached to the housing, so it can't just be pulled out and replaced like a Ford 8.8 (his example).

Between my family and I, we have something like 8 cherokees and have never had issues even remotely close to this. SO, my question is, do I put the new one from the dealer in there to preserve what is otherwise a mint Jeep, or do I go get a front axel assembly from a junkyard, take my chances, but save some serious money. I can get a junkyard one for what looks to be between $400-$700. The yard I called wanted $450 for one with like 112,000 miles on it and will give a small (30-90 day) warranty. In my experience, a front end rarely goes like this and I'd probably be OK with the junkyard one. Or, do I go with the new Jasper part and into debt along with it? My current 96 has 257,000 miles on it and is still going, but needs to be replaced by this 99 ASAP. There just seems like there has to be another way to do this and still give me a long lasting vehicle. I've learned tons here so wanted to get everyone's thoughts. Sorry for the long post, thanks!
Old 04-01-2010, 09:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

i would buy the front axle from the JY then install it your self. save that 3k and put it towards the electrical problem. Or have people on here at least help you out with the electrical problem till we can help you no more that way you have more information for the techs at the dealership when you take it back so they are not back tracing you and the steps you have already covered. Doing a front axle is very straight forward and simple.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

find someone close to you that is parting one out. front axles complete usually go for about 100 bux.
too bad, i just tossed a few out, no room anymore.

or you can look on craigslist for a complete jeep for a couple hundred and take the axle and anything else you want, then part the rest out and take the carcass to scrap for another couple hundred.

pretty much any high pinion d30 from an xj or mj will work. some went through slight changes over the years like brake mounting, hub mounting, etc, but they will still fit.

just try to stay away from the vac disconnect from the early xj's.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:58 AM

Year: 1989 Limited 2 door
Engine: 279 stroker w/ported HO head and LS-1 valves

Originally Posted by 1990cherokee
i would buy the front axle from the JY then install it your self. save that 3k
2x on that one....for 3K I'd have me a Dana 60 with all the good parts!

The dealer mechanic tells me the easiest, most complete, and cost effective way to fix the front end is to put a whole new front axle assembly in it.
This is crazy talk. He hasn't diagnosed it and doesn't even know what is wrong so how can he claim it be the most cost effective? I'll go with easiest and most profitable though....

Where do U live?
Old 04-01-2010, 10:00 AM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 I6

Its not worth the 3K for an axle, thats crazy!!!. I'm a firm beleiver in craigslist, you will deffinitly find a better deal.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:10 AM

Year: 1989 Limited 2 door
Engine: 279 stroker w/ported HO head and LS-1 valves

Our XJ's were one of the Cash for Clunkers vehicles and the bone yards are literally overflowing with good XJ's that were runners a just a few short months ago. I have been getting parts almost daily to make ours like new. U know ur a redneck when you ask ur kids if they want to go to "the happiest place on earth" and U mean Pick 'n Pull

Front axles at like $150 and are guaranteed for 30 days so u'll know if you got a good one
Old 04-01-2010, 10:46 AM

Year: 1990

if you live in washington i have a dana 30 i just pulled from my XJ
Old 04-01-2010, 10:49 AM

Default front axle assembly woes--HELP!

before you spend your children's inheritance on your rig, take five minutes and pop the front cover off of the differential and see what broke. spider gears are an easy fix, and more than one spider pin has broken and locked up the works. also a reasonably easy repair. I'm thinking that you need to know where you stand prior to spending money. have you removed your front driveshaft? How are your front u-joints? when you figure out the front end, take a look at your neutral safety switch. hope these ideas help. I never have normal things go wrong. oddball seems to be a way of life for me. good luck. also, check with some REPUTABLE 4x4 shops in your area, apparently your dealer chooses not to support his product. Check for Jeep clubs in your area, they're your best resource
Old 04-01-2010, 10:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1988 limited
Engine: 4.0 litre

DON'T DO THAT! save the money! it is easy to do it yourself in the driveway! we can guide you path for path..
If the starter is good but it does not krank it's either the ignition switch or the starter relay, anyway you can start the jeep directly from the starter with a screwdriver.
Just switch the key to on.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:15 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999

Originally Posted by poppajeep
before you spend your children's inheritance on your rig, take five minutes and pop the front cover off of the differential and see what broke. spider gears are an easy fix, and more than one spider pin has broken and locked up the works. also a reasonably easy repair. I'm thinking that you need to know where you stand prior to spending money. have you removed your front driveshaft? How are your front u-joints? when you figure out the front end, take a look at your neutral safety switch. hope these ideas help. I never have normal things go wrong. oddball seems to be a way of life for me. good luck. also, check with some REPUTABLE 4x4 shops in your area, apparently your dealer chooses not to support his product. Check for Jeep clubs in your area, they're your best resource
X2!! Don't spend that kind of cash when you don't even know what broke. It could be an easy fix, literally. Pop the cover and take a look inside. Take several pictures from different angles if you want, and post them here for people to help you diagnose the problem. Worst case scenario, pick up a good condition HP D30 from the junk yard and swap it in. Easy to do right in your own driveway and would only take a few hours.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:37 AM

x 10......get it away from any dealer.

Read this write up...its probably your no crank problem http://www.ktioffroad.com/2007/09/23...ave-200-in-4h/

Also post your location on profile. Someone on here could be local and help you with it. A front diff swap should cost no more than $300. JY axles are everywhere.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:21 PM

Wow, thanks! Didn't expect as many replies so quick. Believe me, I didn't really want to take it to a dealer either, and figured that would be the outcome. At the very least, I'm going get the part from the junkyard. What are the chances of a second one going. Even if it did, I could buy several more for the price of 1 Jasper...but you know the Jasper is gonna be fresh from the start. I'm in the MD/DC/VA area and I feel like our junkyard prices may be higher than some places, but who knows. I've been through Craigslist a couple times, I'll find something. I agree, if anyone should be at least opening the thing up, a dealer should. I would think that would be the automatic first step whether they ended up actually fixing it or not? Oh well. Maybe if this is the first of this I've had this issue, than I wont see it again for another 7 Jeeps? I said 8 before, sorry, I miscounted. Thanks again for the help.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:45 PM

Year: 1998 1992 1991
Engine: All Inline 6 4.0

Dealers are always tryin to get the most expensive way they can get you. If you have a pull a part around you can get one for around $100.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:42 PM

We do have a pull-your-own close by. I'll have to try to get over there early next week. My only concern is pulling one off a vehicle that has crazy high miles and putting into my relatively low miles vehicle. I'm not for sure, but I doubt the pull-your-own will be able to give me the mileage for the ones they have...unless its a pre-97 without the digital odometer. I know it probably won't make a huge difference, but like I said, I'd hate to put 150,000-175,000 mile front end in my 70,000 mile Cherokee. Oh well.

Here's a question for those who have actually torn one of these apart. Assuming my problem is something in the carrier assembly/gear set, can't that whole unit just be removed? Again, assuming my axle shafts are still good, I still don't understand why the carrier assembly with gears can't just be removed and replaced? I could easily be misunderstanding, but if anyone has a chance, enlighten me. Thanks!
Old 04-02-2010, 04:19 PM
CF Veteran

Year: Jeepless at the moment

Originally Posted by Tim C
We do have a pull-your-own close by. I'll have to try to get over there early next week. My only concern is pulling one off a vehicle that has crazy high miles and putting into my relatively low miles vehicle. I'm not for sure, but I doubt the pull-your-own will be able to give me the mileage for the ones they have...unless its a pre-97 without the digital odometer. I know it probably won't make a huge difference, but like I said, I'd hate to put 150,000-175,000 mile front end in my 70,000 mile Cherokee. Oh well.

Here's a question for those who have actually torn one of these apart. Assuming my problem is something in the carrier assembly/gear set, can't that whole unit just be removed? Again, assuming my axle shafts are still good, I still don't understand why the carrier assembly with gears can't just be removed and replaced? I could easily be misunderstanding, but if anyone has a chance, enlighten me. Thanks!
they can but buying a new carrier will cost more than a complete axle. also unless you have set ring and pinion up correct. IMO you can do an axle swap in less time than setting up new gears. Unless you are gonna lift it and add bigger tires then you may want to regear

Quick Reply: front axle assembly woes--HELP!