Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Found! no radio/wipers/heater problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 89
Model: Cherokee
Engine: straight 6
Default Found! no radio/wipers/heater problem

UNBELIEVABLE! after MONTHS of trying to figure out WTF is going on with this jeep (89 Cherokee) with intermittent working and then Non working wipers/radio/heater/Turn Signals, i found that, what might be just PART of the problem, i'm sure it's not ALL of the problem, but when i decided i would try all the fuses, even the Dome light fuse, which i NEVER cared about because i did not have a bulb in there, that when everything was out, the SECOND i replaced the Dome light fuse (10A) my heater started, the wipers came on, as well as the radio!!

but i have to say that these four things ( pwr windows worked when the other four were out) would lose all power or restore all power, OCCASIONALLY when i would tilt the steering column up or down, play with the ignition key, and even sometimes kick the drivers side kick panel. I was thinking i had issues inside the steering column, god knows how many i have replaced in the past in different cherokees, they are just junk, and i also took out the screws holding in the fuse box to look at the back, but i didn't see anything. i reseated every connector and nothing happened. i left the key on just to see if wiggling anything would restore power but nothing did. for the longest time, giggling the key or moving the tilt column would'nt do anything. i havent driven this thing much since i 'fixed' it so dont know how long this will last, but there is NO DOUBT, that the fuse to the stupid Dome light also operates the heater blower, wiper motor, t/s and the radio circuits. Just FYI. But i cant explain how the power would come and go. Possibly the fuse was wiggling in the holder? i don't know, but I hope this helps somebody out there in the interworld. At least give this a try if you have the same problem.

xxAlso, the AC, blew this fuse just as soon as i turned it on, and the horn is on this ckt too, so that's way too much stuff for one ckt of any size, let alone 10A. anybody know whats up? like why is the Dome ckt powering all this? no one has messed with the wiring on this rig at all! a 20A fuse might solve the problem, or lite my wires on fire.

Last edited by bullheimer; 05-13-2016 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-14-2016, 06:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Possible contact issue in fuse slot check for power at both sides of fuse box.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:21 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Brown wire on ignition switch burned and switch is toast.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:57 AM

i have been down to picknpull in arlington for another steering column and no go, all their jeeps are always picked clean, esp steering. Have to be the first one there or get there in a day or two and keep up with it.

my cherokee has got to be the biggest POS god ever made. this literally was a grandma car before i got it and when i got it it didn't run. been thru steering columns before on my jeep pickup: two of them. one thing after another, i don't know what you guys see in them, yeah they 4 wheel apparently, but are also Consumer reports worst vehicle year after year. I am on my 2nd window motor on the drivers door as well and it doesn't work anymore either after the wires fell or snapped off the bottom of the motor. i soldered new wires back on it twice before they just broke off. I am on my second door because you cant, or i couldnt anyway, get the window motor out of the door.

I loaned, or my wife did, it's actually her vehicle, her daughter the cherokee about two months ago. I knew it would never make it back under it's own power and i was right. it showed up here on a hook about two weeks or more ago. If you leave the wipers/t.s./lites or radio on (they stay on w/o the key in) the battery dies. well along with that, i'm sure the starter solenoid has crapped out now. Parts store says a new solenoid is $55 and a whole new starter is only $67. I guess that is my next mission, to change that starter. Now that it is back here. But i am hesitant to fix anything on this pile of crap since my daughters car still is not fixed. So that means she will get to drive it as soon as i fix it. so guess what, this jeep can SAR. which stands for Sit and Rot. until such time as i can fix it for myself or my wife. as you may surmise, this is my step daughter i am talking about, and there is no love lost btwn us.

if the brown wire is fried, since i cant get to the ignition switch anway, i am just still going to be on the look out for a new column. thanks for the help. With SIXTY FIVE THOUSAND POSTS BETWEEN YOU, you can't be wrong. i did check the fuse box, it looked good, like i was the very first one that ever took it off, no burn marks either, just cobwebs.

Last edited by bullheimer; 08-24-2016 at 10:01 AM.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:43 PM

Loosen the 2 column bolts, drop it down and change the switch.......
Attached Thumbnails Found! no radio/wipers/heater problem-ignition-switch-location.jpg  
Attached Images   
Old 08-26-2016, 01:29 PM

Really? its that easy? crap, and i've changed out a few columns too and never noticed. so i dont have to pull the steering wheel or anything?
Old 08-26-2016, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by bullheimer
Really? its that easy? crap, and i've changed out a few columns too and never noticed. so i dont have to pull the steering wheel or anything?
Nope. Easy.
Old 08-28-2016, 11:59 PM

i looked in my jeep manual and yep, sure as tihs! there it is. i didnt even look before because i figured it involved removed the key and lock cylinder. there are a few little directions in there that are helpful, but simple looking. thank you for the help!
Old 08-29-2016, 12:09 AM

Did you fix it?
Old 08-29-2016, 12:13 PM

no, not yet. my daughter who drove it into the ground i guess just HAD to move in with us, along with her son, her boyfriend, and his son too! i'll be damned if i fix it so they can trash it again. it needs a starter solenoid as well. i will need to get it running myself, so i can pull the engine out of my 62 Buick (i need to rent a hoist), so when i get to that point, i will let my wife keep driving the buick and her daughter keep bumming rides.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by bullheimer
UNBELIEVABLE! after MONTHS of trying to figure out WTF is going on with this jeep (89 Cherokee) with intermittent working and then Non working wipers/radio/heater/Turn Signals, i found that, what might be just PART of the problem, i'm sure it's not ALL of the problem, but when i decided i would try all the fuses, even the Dome light fuse, which i NEVER cared about because i did not have a bulb in there, that when everything was out, the SECOND i replaced the Dome light fuse (10A) my heater started, the wipers came on, as well as the radio!!

but i have to say that these four things ( pwr windows worked when the other four were out) would lose all power or restore all power, OCCASIONALLY when i would tilt the steering column up or down, play with the ignition key, and even sometimes kick the drivers side kick panel. I was thinking i had issues inside the steering column, god knows how many i have replaced in the past in different cherokees, they are just junk, and i also took out the screws holding in the fuse box to look at the back, but i didn't see anything. i reseated every connector and nothing happened. i left the key on just to see if wiggling anything would restore power but nothing did. for the longest time, giggling the key or moving the tilt column would'nt do anything. i havent driven this thing much since i 'fixed' it so dont know how long this will last, but there is NO DOUBT, that the fuse to the stupid Dome light also operates the heater blower, wiper motor, t/s and the radio circuits. Just FYI. But i cant explain how the power would come and go. Possibly the fuse was wiggling in the holder? i don't know, but I hope this helps somebody out there in the interworld. At least give this a try if you have the same problem.

xxAlso, the AC, blew this fuse just as soon as i turned it on, and the horn is on this ckt too, so that's way too much stuff for one ckt of any size, let alone 10A. anybody know whats up? like why is the Dome ckt powering all this? no one has messed with the wiring on this rig at all! a 20A fuse might solve the problem, or lite my wires on fire.
I have the same exact word for word issue going on with my 87 pioneer! Tried changing the fuse and still nothing! Any other ideas by chance!? Someone please help! Thx
Old 02-07-2020, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Kruz Vilanueva
I have the same exact word for word issue going on with my 87 pioneer! Tried changing the fuse and still nothing! Any other ideas by chance!? Someone please help! Thx

Brown wire at the ignition switch needs to be checked. Likely melted wire and bad switch.

Old 02-09-2020, 11:18 AM

THANKS for bringing this back from the f'king DEAD! BELIEVE IT OR NOT i still have, kinda that pile!!! my g daughter has it down the street from me. it still is in the same shape but i digress. i'll keep digressing as she also took my son in laws (they all moved out, and thanks for telling me when they all moved in, Aug 2016!!! she had a stroke two years ago, brain surgery, just can barely walk straight, and moved out thank god with the rest of her posse') took his 92 cherokee he gave to her mom (my other step daughter, dont ask for explanations) and rolled it (pretty much totalled it) because the p/s ran out of fluid and locked it up so to speak). anyway, what i learned from this other jeep owner, is that all the wires to this pile are routed under the drivers side carpet, and they supposedly short out down there and ruin your life. so check there too. bye
Old 08-13-2020, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Kruz Vilanueva

I have an 89, kind of the same thing going on. The ACC (cigarette lighter), front and rear wipers, a/c, and turn signals all went out at once. Ive changed all fuses switched a bunch of relays and no dice. No power is going to the acc adapter or the blower motor. The dome light comes on, head lights work, break and reverse lights work. Starts just fine, every once in a while it will rev to 2500rpms for a bit but normally normalizes quickly. I just got the A/C working about a month ago and hate that i lost it again along with acc adapter, wipers, turn signals. My hazards work though.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by rdown
I have an 89, kind of the same thing going on. The ACC (cigarette lighter), front and rear wipers, a/c, and turn signals all went out at once. Ive changed all fuses switched a bunch of relays and no dice. No power is going to the acc adapter or the blower motor. The dome light comes on, head lights work, break and reverse lights work. Starts just fine, every once in a while it will rev to 2500rpms for a bit but normally normalizes quickly. I just got the A/C working about a month ago and hate that i lost it again along with acc adapter, wipers, turn signals. My hazards work though.
Check out the ignition switch then.

Quick Reply: Found! no radio/wipers/heater problem