Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Found another problem/easy fix

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 95
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Found another problem/easy fix

So, after figuring out the oil pressure sender on my wife's '95 Cherokee Sport, I decided to tackle the non-functioning radio.

I could turn it on, it would play cassette tapes okay, but would get zero FM and limited AM reception.

So, I started troubleshooting. I pulled the dash, got the radio out, and checked the ground, which was loose and corroded, so I fixed that. Reinstalled the radio (radio has to be screwed in to function; evidently the screws provide an additional ground) and no joy. So, I pulled the radio again, and checked the antenna jack. It looked good. Then, I pulled the Q/D for power and speakers, and it was darned furry inside, with corrosion, so I sprayed it down really good with Contax, an electrical contact cleaner. Got rid of the fur, and then reinstalled. Still, no joy.

I had pulled the antenna first of all, and cleaned off the base, but no joy. I started to unfasten the base from the fender (don't do this, btw) and suddenly, I got clear FM AND AM reception. When it became obvious that this sucker was doing something bad to the antenna wires inside the fender, I pulled the kick panel loose from the passenger side, and found that the Q/D jack, which is spring loaded, had "tuliped" completely. It is an aluminum fitting and the pressure of the spring, combined with someone trying to unscrew the antenna before me, had caused the female receptor to "tulip" out, like Elmer Fudd's shotgun.

So, I removed the Q/D spring, and just folded the petals of the tulip in on the male jack, and wrapped it tightly with electrical tape. Problem solved. Yet another "el cheapo" Jeep fix.

And I got a special present from my lovely bride for being a "good husband"and fixing her radio.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 94 XJ
Engine: 4.0L

My 94 Sport had somewhat of the same problem shortly after removing the carpeting and associated interior trim to fix rust. Couldn't keep the two parts together.

Ahhh the joys of duct tape.

I believe that was Use #863. Not exactly sure, I lose track somewhere after #750.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:18 AM

Year: 1986
Engine: 4.0 Liter

Hi I am new to the forum and was searching tonight to see if anyone had had the same problem with their radio reception. I read this thread, went outside and found the exact same problem. Took the spring out, connected them together and wamo great reception. Thanks for the great advice. I look forward to being part of the forum.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:05 AM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Originally Posted by JeepinSpokane
Hi I am new to the forum and was searching tonight to see if anyone had had the same problem with their radio reception. I read this thread, went outside and found the exact same problem. Took the spring out, connected them together and wamo great reception. Thanks for the great advice. I look forward to being part of the forum.
Welcome to CF, you will find tons of answers on this forum, the jeepers here are awesome and will always lend a hand when they can...Tj
Old 05-03-2009, 10:37 AM

Year: 1986
Engine: 4.0 Liter

Thanks, I am really enjoying it already!
Old 05-04-2009, 01:52 AM

Year: 95

Great to hear that my learning experience could help someone else out.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:57 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000

way to go man i love cheap fix's