Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

@#$%& Oil pressure sending unit!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 95
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default @#$%& Oil pressure sending unit!!!

So, I've pinpointed the worst leak on my wife's Cherokee's engine to the oil pressure sending unit.

It was obviously malfunctioning, as it read "pegged" the entire time, but I felt I had more pressing issues, so put it off. When I started to fool with it, I noticed that the electrical plug was full of oil, and that it was wicking down the off side, and running along the oil pan flange, at a rapid rate.

So, off to the J/Y, and would you believe, out of the 12 or so mid-90s Cherokees I looked at, only 1 wasn't leaking through the electrical plug.

When examining the pre-mid-90s oil pressure sender, which isn't a huge cheap-*ssed plastic POS, I noticed that NONE of them were broken.

Seems that putting a cheap piece of garbage right in the way of the oil filter, held together with a flipping o-ring (!!!!!!!) and which fairly invites a ham-fisted mechanic to torque on the plastic sender body, results in cracked and broken sender units. And the local parts stores don't stock it; it needs to be "special ordered".

Provided that you can pump out the contents of your oil pan in a New York minute through this cheap piece of crap, it would behoove Cherokee owners to keep an eye on it.

I would think you could retro-convert the older and bullet-proof unit, just for safety sake. Next time, that's what I'll try.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:36 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993 2 door
Engine: 4.0L H.O.

I had a problem with my 93 leaking too. $25 quick replacement after I finally found out what was causeing the drip underneath.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:39 AM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

I have the older type with half and half, plastic and metal. Mine came from the stealership b/c I needed it in a hurry and the good ones from NAPA were a 3 day wait. Pull it off and slap a real oil pressure gauge in the hole while you wait for a metal one to be ordered. Thats what I would do.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:41 PM

Year: 95
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by BlueXJ
I have the older type with half and half, plastic and metal. Mine came from the stealership b/c I needed it in a hurry and the good ones from NAPA were a 3 day wait. Pull it off and slap a real oil pressure gauge in the hole while you wait for a metal one to be ordered. Thats what I would do.
I plan on taking off an early, all metal unit (which is about 1/4 the size of the plastic POS) and installing it to see how closely it tracks the older unit. If so, that's a fix.

The local J/Y charged me $5 for a half-plastic/half-metal one, and it works dandy, but it's designed to break. Seems like if the older, all metal ones work, and there's a ton of them at the J/Y, that would be the "right answer".

In the meantime, I bought a special oil filter wrench that doesn't impinge the sender unit, to prevent breakage.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:42 PM

Year: 1993, 1994
Engine: 4.0L HO

Keep us informed as to what you find out, I still have a small leak and I think it's coming from the sender. Hard to tell, though, since the valve cover leaked for years... the engine is caked.

Safe to take it to the local self-serve auto-wash and hose it down?
Old 10-13-2008, 02:50 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

I usually do if I'm gonna work on the engine. I put a plastic bag over the distributor and the air cleaner and soak it in Gunk Engine Brite and then go have a soda and snack. When I come back I use the car wash hose to pressure wash it. NO SOAP JUST WATER.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by 120mm
So, I've pinpointed the worst leak on my wife's Cherokee's engine to the oil pressure sending unit.

It was obviously malfunctioning, as it read "pegged" the entire time, but I felt I had more pressing issues, so put it off. When I started to fool with it, I noticed that the electrical plug was full of oil, and that it was wicking down the off side, and running along the oil pan flange, at a rapid rate.

So, off to the J/Y, and would you believe, out of the 12 or so mid-90s Cherokees I looked at, only 1 wasn't leaking through the electrical plug.

When examining the pre-mid-90s oil pressure sender, which isn't a huge cheap-*ssed plastic POS, I noticed that NONE of them were broken.

Seems that putting a cheap piece of garbage right in the way of the oil filter, held together with a flipping o-ring (!!!!!!!) and which fairly invites a ham-fisted mechanic to torque on the plastic sender body, results in cracked and broken sender units. And the local parts stores don't stock it; it needs to be "special ordered".

Provided that you can pump out the contents of your oil pan in a New York minute through this cheap piece of crap, it would behoove Cherokee owners to keep an eye on it.

I would think you could retro-convert the older and bullet-proof unit, just for safety sake. Next time, that's what I'll try.
omg same thing happened to me i cant believe i didnt find this thread i searched everywhere for the same problem